Contact Me

Friday, November 22, 2013

Movie Review: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire


Title: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Director: Francis Lawrence
Writers: Simon Beaufoy (screenplay), Michael Arndt (screenplay).
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
Based on: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA
"THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE begins as Katniss Everdeen has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a "Victor's Tour" of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) - a competition that could change Panem forever.

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE is directed by Francis Lawrence, from a screenplay by Simon Beaufoy and Michael DeBruyn, based upon the novel "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins and produced by Nina Jacobson and Jon Kilik. The novel is the second in a trilogy that has over 50 million copies in print in the U.S. alone. THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE opens on November 22, 2013. Lionsgate presents a Color Force/Lionsgate production."
*This is a spoiler free review*

I just step out of the theater with a nice feeling of satisfaction. I’m happy to say Catching Fire was everything I was expecting it to be and more.

Catching Fire’s adaptation is kept very close to the book. I thought The Hunger Games was one of the best book/movie adaptations I’ve seen. After having my expectations so high I was a bit scare about Catching Fire, I didn’t know if it was going to meet them or if it was going to fall flat. Luckily for my and for other fans Catching Fire not only met my expectations, it surpassed them. 

The acting of Jennifer Lawrence reiterated why she is an Oscar winner. Josh Hutcherson interpretation of Peeta doesn’t stay behind; he shines next to his co-star.

My only query will be with Liam Hemsworth, I wasn’t so sure about his role as Galen in The Hunger Games (First movie) and now after this second movie I’m still on the fence with him. I think his acting lacks strength and he doesn’t give proper homage to a character as strong as the Galen of the books.

One new character that caught my eye is Sam Claflin, he plays, Finnick Odair, an ally and fellow contender in the Games. Sam not only does an excellent job at playing Finnick, he’s also hot as hell.

As with The Hunger Games (first movie) the costumes, makeup and hairstyling is amazing and incredibly creative. The scenography and visual effects are top-notch.

Catching Fire is not a happy movie; don’t expect laughs because you won’t find them here. What you will find is a hearth-wrenching emotional movie that during almost two and a half hours will take you on a trip to Panem and its different districts. During that trip Mr. Lawrence and his very successful cast will make you cry and hope for a better future, when everything couldn’t look grimmer and the only thing you know is the uncertainty of the things to come.

I recommend this movie to fans of Suzanne Collins’ books and to anyone who want to watch a great and emotional movie. I also recommend you to watch The Hunger Games movie first.

Now, I’m eagerly looking forward to the release of next movie, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, to be release on November 21st, 2014.

I can’t wait to watch this movie again.

My Verdict: 4½  Paws

Other movies in the film series
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay - Part 1 (November 21st, 2014)
Mockingjay – Part 2 (November 20th, 2015)

5 comments:

  1. Not as good as the first, but still a worthy addition to a franchise that seems like it's on the brink of breaking some mighty fine box-office records. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first movie suuuuuucked, but will still give this one a go

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked BOTH movies. I'm going to see Catching Fire again tonight with a friend.

    My husband said that Sam Claflin looked like a beefy Steve'O from Jackass and I had to agree. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'm going Monday night...I debating if I going to let my daughter see it (she almost 12) She's so excited about seeing it, and she has read all the books. I'm a little afraid because I heard is very violent...Don't know what to do....LOL Sometimes I wish parenting came with a manual ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to watch this with my kid soon. Liam - there's a reason why he's Thor's brother right now.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...