Contact Me

Friday, December 6, 2013

Audiobook Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, book 1
Narrated by: Khristine Hvam
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Format: Audiobook
“Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages - not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers - beautiful, haunted Akiva - fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?”
Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the first book in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone series by Laini Taylor.

Couple of days ago I was looking for new audiobooks to listen to, I asked the audiobook guru, Loupe, from Hot Listens for some recommendations and one of the audiobooks she recommended me was Daughter of Smoke and Bone and now I can’t thank her enough, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was not only an amazing audiobook, but it also helped me discover the magic that is Khristine Hvam as a narrator.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is one of those books in which you can say much without giving spoilers away. It is also one of those books I would love just to tell you to trust me, buy it and read it or listen to it. I can guarantee you you won’t be disappointed.

Karou is not your usual seventeen-year old girl; she was raised by chimeras (a different species, with monster-like characteristics). For others, her adoptive family will be monsters but for her they are her family. Karou studies art in Prague and you could say she has a normal life if you don’t take in consideration the days she disappears to run errands for Brimstone, her father figure and ignore the days she comes back from those errands in really bad shape.
Karou is a very easy to like character, she is strong and full of life and just an all around delight.

Karou’s best friend, Zuzana, knows that Karou is somehow different, that doesn’t deter her to love her almost as a sister.
Karou is always drawing monsters and telling Zuzane they people in the drawings are her family. Zuzane humors her until the day she realizes that Karou was telling the truth. Instead of running for the hills, Zuzane proves her love for her one more time, making me love her even more.

We also meet Akiva, for everything Karou knows he should be her enemy, but there is something in him that intrigues her.
Years back Akiva suffered a tremendous lost and since then his only purpose in life has been revenge, until the day she encounters Karou in a Marrakesh market and his world is flipped from its axle.

As I said before this is a book in which I can say much without giving spoilers away. Let’s just add that Laini Taylor writing style is lyric and magical, the world building she created for Daughter of Smoke and Bone shows us her creativity has no limits.
Daughter of Smoke and Bone is set in different places, from Prague, to Marrakesh to the magical place where the Chimera lives, these different settings only added life and wonderment to the story.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a unique book, with unique characters, in a unique and very rich world, one I couldn’t stop listening for beginning to end. I liked it so much that as soon as I finished it I started with the second book (audiobook) in the series, Days of Blood & Starlight and now I’m eagerly waiting for the release of third book in the series, Dreams of Gods & Monsters, to be released on April 8th, 2014.

And here we come to a very important point in this review and that is the amaziness (yes, I know it’s not a word but is the best way to describe her) that is Khristine Hvam as a narrator. OMFG why I didn’t know about her? She is incredible! She brought to life every single character giving them unique voices and unique feelings. I always knew who was who because her characterizations were just perfect. I loved Khristine Hvam so much that as soon as I finished with Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight I searched for other books narrated by her, and for the first time I’m listening to a book (Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara) no because of an author, but because of a narrator. Yes, she’s that good.

My Book Verdict: 5 Paws

My Narrator Verdict: 5 Paws & A Purr
 

Other books in the series
Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Days of Blood & Starlight
Dreams of Gods & Monsters (April 8th, 2014)

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. The more people I see read this .. the more excited I get. I love this book. Also... I love how you added a purr to your rating!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This book was pretty amazing. I can't wait to get third book on my greedy hands.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you enjoyed it!! YAY!
    Beautiful review! You are right, Khristine Hvam is simply AMAZING!
    Now we both are anxiously awaiting Dreams of Gods & Monsters :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...