Contact Me

Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: The Redhead Plays Her Hand by Alice Clayton


Title: The Redhead Plays Her Hand
Author: Alice Clayton
Series: Redhead, book 3
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Gallery Books (Dec. 17th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Grace has landed the lead in a new TV series—but when the director asks her to lose fifteen pounds, she goes public with her weight struggles and suddenly develops a huge fan club who support her right to have curves. But between that and the public’s continuing fascination with her “are they or aren’t they” relationship with Jack, Grace begins to wonder if anyone’s really interested in her because of her upcoming TV series, or if it’s all speculation about the size of her ass and her bedroom partner.

Meanwhile, Jack is voted the Sexiest Man Alive and becomes a little too enamored with the party-hard lifestyle. Grace vows to give him the space he needs to find himself, but then he begins to spiral down from lovable Brit to Hollywood brat. People are talking, but are Jack and Grace? Her career is on the rise, and his continues into the stratosphere, but will she be able to catch him if he falls? Will they ever be able to just be a couple who can hold hands when they walk down the street?”
The Redhead Plays Her Hand is the third book in the Redhead series by Alice Clayton.

I loved first two books in this series, sadly I can’t say I loved this installment too. I’m not saying that I didn’t like it, it was just that The Redhead Plays Her Hand made me feel at a times as if I were reading about different characters and not the Grace and Jack I loved from previous books.

In The Redhead Plays Her Hand Grace and Jack traded places, Grace went from the carefree, funny and crazy girl to the serious and mature one in the relationship; while the level-headed, mature and confident Jack of previous books turn into a childish, irresponsible, and an all around young Hollywood actor cliché.

Grace has finally landed the job of her dreams, the lead role in a new TV series. She’s crazy busy getting ready for it; including doing a very strict diet and killing workouts because she needs to lose 15 pounds as per request of the director. But that is not enough, she’s getting a lot of press, but sadly not because of her merits but because of her weight and the question everyone wants answer, is she dating Jack or not? And with that question comes the many speculations about their age difference.

Jack is the “it” boy of Hollywood and was just named Sexiest Man Alive. He’s also getting ready to leave for location to film his new movie, but every night he’s out in the town partying like there is no tomorrow and getting drunk, and everyday he’s acting out and becoming more and more irresponsible.
Grace is not happy with this new Jack, but she justifies his behavior due to his age and accepts what he’s doing. Deeply, she knows Jack is going through a wrong path and could easily get lost. Grace doesn’t want conflict and also doesn’t want to “mother” Jack, so she let things past and past until she has enough. Grace tries talking to Jack, but he knows how to distract her; he also doesn’t want to talk about what is going on, that puts Grace in a difficult place, she has enough in her plate to also be dealing with this new teenager version of Jack.

It was really sad and disappointing to see this new Jack, it was almost as seeing a train wreck in slow motion, you know is coming and there is nothing you can do to stop it, just be there and see if there is anything left to recover when it’s over and done.

Luckily for Grace she still has her support system, Holly and Michael are ever present and helping as much as they can. Holly is also worried about Jack and the bad influences he’s keeping around, but with Jack’s new attitude there is nothing any of them can do to help.

The Redhead Plays Her Hand has a very different tone from previous books, the humor is less and the angst is increased. Mrs. Clayton shows not only the spark and glamour of the Hollywood life but also the hardships they have to deal with, like harsh press, paparazzi, and crazy fans.

It took me a while to get into the story; the first part of The Redhead Plays Her Hand is slow going and I found myself putting the book down a lot. Midway in, when the conflict and angst were at its peak I found I was completely submerged in the story and read non-stop until I finished it.

Even though The Redhead Plays Her Hand was not my favorite book in the series I can say I enjoyed reading it. The end even though a big fast resolved was a satisfying one.

I recommend The Redhead Plays Her Hand to fans of this series, I also recommend new readers not to start with this installment, but with first book in the series, The Unidentified Redhead.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Stars

Other books in the series
The Unidentified Redhead.
The Redhead Revealed
The Redhead Plays Her Hand

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Well boo. I adored the first book and found the second book meh. I worry I would be disappointed in this one too... I may wait a bit on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of a heavy read and it's depressing me a bit. I have book1 of this series, I think I'm going to read that instead. It's the holidays after all and I really want to be happy not sappy. Thanks for helping me decide :S Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...