Contact Me

Friday, January 31, 2014

Review: Heart of Stone by Christine Warren


Title: Heart of Stone
Author: Christine Warren
Series: Gargoyles, book 1
Genre: Paranormal romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Ella Harrow is trying to carve out a normal life for herself. Well, as normal as an art geek with psychic abilities can hope for. As museum docent and gift-shop manager, Ella is able to keep her distance from people—and her powers in check—while surrounding herself with the artifacts she loves. But how on earth is she supposed to act normal when a thousand-year-old statue on the museum's terrace suddenly comes to life?

Heart of Stone

Not your ordinary gargoyle, Kees has been asleep for eons, waiting for a portent of evil to wake him from his slumber. Kees isn't a vision; he's a bat-winged guardian created to protect the world from the seven demons of the Dark. Somehow, Ella triggered his reawakening. Maybe the demons have been unleashed? Maybe his heart is finally ready to be chiseled open? The fate of the world isn't carved in stone…yet.”
Heart of Stone is the first book in the Gargoyles series by Christine Warren.

Since I can remember I’ve fascinated by gargoyles and grotesques. I was very excited when I saw this book available for review and read its blurb. I couldn’t wait to read it and discover the world Christine Warren created in this new series. Sadly Heart of Stone didn’t meet with my expectations and it was a big disappointment.

The idea of this book has a lot of potential, but unfortunately it stays there, in just potential. The plot is very simple, woman meets Man/gargoyle they fell in love, there are badies around them who want heroine dead and man/gargoyle destroyed, some encounters between them occurred but at the end nothing definite happens.

The characters suffered from lack of depth. This made them very difficult to like. Ella’s behavior alienates people and then she feels alone. She changes moods like changing underwear and in a blink of an eye goes from a timid woman who is afraid of everything and everybody to a warrior magic practitioner willing to fight “monsters”. Her sudden change didn’t feel realistic; it almost made me feel as if I was reading two different characters.

Kees was better; he’s stone cold and doesn’t believe in feelings. He was brought to the world to fight evil and that’s all he knows and wants, until of course Ella thaws his heart. Kees comes as a heartless man, that didn’t bother me, he’s a gargoyle, so I can understand his way of thinking. My problem with him was that he felt very one-dimensional. His character development was almost non-existent.

Kees and Ella’s relationship is one of insta-love, I usually don’t have problems with insta-love when supernatural creatures are involved, but in the case of Kees and Ella it just didn’t work because it didn’t feel real.

In Heart of Stone we are introduced to the heroine of next book, Felicity. It’s sad to say, but in the few glimpses we see of Felicity I liked her more than Ella. If it were only because of Heart of Stone I would say I’m not going to read next book in the series, Stone Cold Lover, but as I just said, I liked Felicity, so I’m on the fence about it. I think I’ll wait to read some reviews before deciding if to read it or not.

Heart of Stone wasn’t for me, but it may be for you.

My Verdict: 2 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Heart of Stone
Stone Cold Lover


4 comments:

  1. 2nd review that was negative and as I did not like another book by her then I doubt this one is for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANG! I thought it was just me. I actually DNF'd it but I wondered if it was just my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well shoot. I had high hopes for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh, I won't read this one then. I love character driven books regardless of the genre. This would've been nice coz I haven't really read any gargoyle book.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...