Contact Me

Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: Red Rising by Pierce Brown


Title: Red Rising
Author: Pierce Brown
Series: Red Rising Trilogy, book 1
Genre: Dystopian, Sci-fi, Fantasy
Publisher: Del Rey (January 28th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“The war begins...

Darrow is a Helldiver, one of a thousand men and women who live in the vast caves beneath the surface of Mars. Generations of Helldivers have spent their lives toiling to mine the precious elements that will allow the planet to be terraformed. Just knowing that one day people will be able to walk the surface of the planet is enough to justify their sacrifice. The Earth is dying, and Darrow and his people are the only hope humanity has left.

Until the day Darrow learns that it is all a lie. Mars is habitable - and indeed has been inhabited for generations by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. The Golds regard Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.

With the help of a mysterious group of rebels, Darrow disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside.

But the command school is a battlefield. And Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda...”
Red Rising is the first book in the Red Rising Trilogy and the debut novel of Pierce Brown.

Will be enough if I tell you that this book is FREAKING AMAZING!! That you need to buy it tomorrow (release day) and that you should read it as soon as you get your hands on it? No? You greedy people! 

It has been a while since I read a book that affected me so much as Red Rising did. It also has been a while since I suffered from “book hangover”, but that is exactly what happened to me after I finished reading Red Rising. I loved Red Rising so much I was incapable of reading another book for two days!! Two days in which I couldn’t stop thinking about it, two days in which I consider reading it again, something I have never done before, and now while writing this review I feel as if I need to read it again, now! Yes people, Red Rising is THAT good. The best part of it is I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. If I’m honest I wasn’t so sure about reading it, I had it on my reader for almost two months and waited until last week to read it.
Red Rising has received a lot of advertisement; I read everywhere that it was the next The Hunger Games and that instead of making me want to read it it cool me off. The only thing I can now say is that that statement is very wrong. The Hunger Games Trilogy was good, I liked it very much, but it doesn’t come even close to how much I LOVED Red Rising, it doesn’t come close to how amazing Red Rising is it.

The blurb explains pretty well what Red Rising is about, telling you more will be giving too much away and Red Rising is a book you need to read and experience for yourself. I’m just going to say a few things about it, starting with the main character, Darrow. I haven’t liked a character like I liked Darrow in a very long time. I liked him because he wasn’t perfect and made mistakes, I liked him because he owned his mistakes and learned from them. Darrow is young; he’s barely sixteen when Red Rising starts, but all his hardships made him feel older and more mature than his physical age. Still he grows immensely throughout the pages; the Darrow from chapter one to the Darrow at the end of the book is somebody else, but in a good and very realistic way. His growth is not sudden, it’s a process that takes almost two years, two years of many mishaps and hard lessons, where his world was turn upside down many times, and the only way for him to survive was to fight and sacrifice himself for what he believes to be right. Something not easily done, when everything you have believed your whole life turnout to be a big fat lie.

There are many secondary characters, to name them all I will need hours. One that shines a lot in the short page time she has is Eo. Eo is Darrow’s wife. Eo is different than Darrow; she is an idealist and has always dreamed bigger than the rest. Eo’s heart is what inspires and feeds Darrow to move forward and do what must be done. I can’t say more about her without giving spoilers away. You need to read Red Rising to see how strong a character is she.

The rest of the secondary characters, from the allies to the villains were all so perfectly written that they not only gave life to the story, but also made it very rich.

The world Brown created is unique and very imaginative. He smartly mixes fantasy, science fiction and dystopian giving it a spin to create a new and an unequalled genre in its own.

It’s hard to believe Red Rising is a debut novel. Pierce Brown is a master at storytelling and I can only thank him for this beautiful masterpiece that I’m sure will occupy forever a very special place in my shelves.

Red Rising lives up to its hype. I'm pretty sure it'll be one of my favorite books of the year. I simply loved everything about it and can't wait to read more. Next book in this series can’t come soon enough.

Seriously people, I can’t recommend you this book enough, I really hope you’ll give it a chance after reading this review my gushing. Trust me, buy Red Rising, read it and thank me later.

My Verdict: 5 Paws and a Purr
 

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. This is already on my TBR. Thank you for the wonderful review, I'm so excited. I won't wait for the audio, I must read this ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing. I am adding it to my wishlist. I am hoping to get to it next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It even gets a purr? Sounds purrtastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear this really seems to be like the biggest must read of 2014. I'll have to give it a try since so many people rated it 4-5 stars.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...