Contact Me

Monday, March 3, 2014

Review: Killer Frost by Jennifer Estep


Title: Killer Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy, book 6
Genre: YA
Publisher: Kensington Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before–and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death … most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am.”
Killer Frost is the sixth and last book in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep.

Gwen knows her final encounter with Loki is coming; she can feel it on her bones. Since the moment Nike told her she is the one who has to kill Loki she has thought about all kind of possibilities, the only problem is she doesn’t know how to defeat a god; she might be Nike’s champion, but she’s only a girl.
When a person close to her is kidnapped by the Reapers, Gwen knows she will do whatever they ask to get that person back, even if that means lying to her friends and going behind the Protectorade’s orders. What Gwen doesn’t know is that her friends know her well and they will do whatever is needed to assist her and protect her, even if that will put their lives at risk.

I liked Gwen as a heroine, but in this installment she got a little bit under my nerves. She had grown in books past, but I felt as if she almost went back in time and behaved as the Gwen of first books. One thing I liked about her was that she knew she had friends, knew she didn’t have to do everything by herself and could ask for their assistance, but in this installment she almost behave as a lone wolf. Gwen decided to do something very risky, not only for her, but for everybody, and instead of asking for help (she didn’t want to get her friends in trouble) she planned to do it all by herself; luckily for her her friends intervened and they provided the necessary assistance for her plan to be successful.

After events in previous books Logan and Gwen’s relationship is a bit fragile. They are trying to leave the past behind but they haven’t been able to resolve their issues. Although it was addressed in this installment I didn’t feel they left their issues behind. Still, Estep gives us hope that at the end everything is going to be ok with them.

All the secondary characters we have come to love from this series made an appearance here. Logan, Daphne, Carson, Oliver, Alexie, Grandma Frost, Metis, Nickamedes. Even Rory, and Rachel come to Gwen’s aid. We see them together fighting for the same goal. Friendships and romances become stronger. Notwithstanding their issues they are united first in their common fight and later in their hope of a brighter future.
One character that I really liked in this installment was Nickamedes. He has come a long way and I really loved his positive transformation.

Despite the strong and very well choreographed fighting scenes, the villains felt a bit flat. I had that problem in previous books and I had that problem here. Vivian, Agrona and Loki felt a bit one-dimensional. The encounters with Gwen were almost childish. I was expecting a bit more grown in that aspect and sadly I didn’t get it.

Even though I had some minor issues I can say Killer Frost is a good end to a great series. Estep nicely wrapped all the loose ends and answer some of our questions. The mystery behind Raven was explained and if I’m honest is was a nice surprise.
The only character Estep left a bit open to speculation is Rory. I think I can see a spin-off series in the future.

I’m sad to see this series come to an end, but at the same time and happy Jennifer Estep finished it in a high note.
I don’t recommend starting this series with this installment. The Mythos Academy series is one that should be read in order. I recommend this book and this series to all YA fans and to lovers of Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian, and American Indian mythology.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Touch of Frost
Kiss of Frost
Dark Frost
Spartan Frost (Novella)
Killer Frost

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but good things about this book, and now that the series has wrapped up, I definitely need to get caught up (I've only read through book 4). I'm glad you found the ending satisfactory even though you had some complaints about the MC and villains. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the ending to this series Marcela! It's so sad to see a series that you really enjoy end, but sometimes it's just time for that to come. I've heard great things about this series from you and so many others, I really need to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone except me seems to be reading these

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this series on my wish list. Six books it's not too bad, I get intimidating jumping in when there's already 12 books out. I hear your minor complains about this book, but over all it seems that enjoyed the series, so one of these days I'll get book one and get started.
    Thanks Marcela!
    OH boy!! You listening to Mirian Black...Eek!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...