Contact Me

Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: Perfect Catch by Sierra Dean


Title: Perfect Catch
Author: Sierra Dean
Series: Boys of Summer, book 2
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Samhain Publishing (March 11th)
Source: Review copy from author
Format: E-book
“Is their love a home run, or merely a pop fly?

Minor league umpire Alice Darling loves everything about baseball. That means hunky ball players are strictly off limits—dating one would be professional suicide. With a young daughter and a brother to care for, she can’t afford to slip up.

Truth is, as a young, stupid, nineteen-year-old townie, she did once date a player. That’s how she wound up with her precious, nine-year-old daughter…and a determination to never make that mistake again. Alex Ross’s arrival in Florida for spring training, though, shakes her resolve in a big way.

Alex, a catcher for the Major League’s San Francisco Felons, has never let much get in the way of his game. One look at Alice changes everything, and he finds himself pursuing her with a single-minded purpose that plays hell with his concentration.

Booted back to the minors, he returns to Florida with his tail between his legs to work on his swing…and heat things up with Alice. But when rumors of their affair hit the sports blogosphere, Alice’s career is put in jeopardy, and their love starts to look more like a strikeout than a home run.”
Perfect Catch is the second book in the Boys of Summer series by Sierra Dean.

I liked Alex since the moment I met him in Pitch Perfect (first book in the series) and was looking forward to his story.  My opinion of him only got better in this installment. Alex is a sweet and caring man; he is a good friend and has good family values.

Alex likes Alice almost instantly, he likes that she loves baseball as much as him, he likes how she is with her daughter and likes that she is strong and funny. The only problem is Alice has a no-baseball-players rule.

When Alice was nineteen years old she fell for a baseball player. The only good thing that relationship left her is her daughter. Years have passed and she still lives by her rule. She also knows her job, as an umpire, will be in jeopardy if she gets involved with a player. The only problem is Alex is so sweet and so persistent is impossible to say no to him.

I liked Alice, but, yes, here come the “but”, I understand her ex was an ass and she was afraid of repeating the same story, but she generalized and judge every baseball player by her jerk of an ex.
I also had a problem with her when she believed the worse about Alex without hearing him first, and her solution to their problems was disappearing and becoming completely unavailable to him. That was very immature of her.
Alice misgivings about Alex and their relationship made me dislike her a little bit. It wasn’t much, but at certain times I thought Alex was too good for her.

I’m not a fan of baseball but I love how Sierra Dean brings to live the world of baseball in these books. It is obvious she’s a fan and knows what she’s writing about; her love for the sport is present in her words making the story very vivid and realistic. I also like that the way she writes baseball makes it almost a character in itself, a very likeable character that even non fans, like myself, can find fascinating.

Perfect Catch is a sweet, fun and sexy read. One I recommend to contemporary romance fans, baseball fans or to anyone who likes to read a very well written, highly entertaining book with a swoon worthy hero.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Perfect Catch

Other reviews Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Sierra Dean's Secret McQueen series, but I haven't read anything else of hers. I will (and soon)! I'm glad you liked this one, and I can't wait to get to it myself ;)

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a HUGE Sierra Dean fan, but I have yet to read anything by her other than her UF series. Glad to hear that her awesome writing continues to shine through regardless of the genre. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read Sierra Dean! I haven't! I feel like I have failed in life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! Baseball! An uncle of mine used to drag me to games and thank god for hotdogs, if not for those treats I would totally shoot myself. I love sports romances too, I think we all had baller fantasies at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Marcela! I've heard so much about this series so far between book 1 and 2. I might have to check it out...but I'll wait till later. I can understand why you would start to not like Alice with her misgivings. Any guy can act like an ass, not just a baseball player, so it's weird for me to have her blanket ALL baseball players like that. I also find it funny that she dislikes baseball players so much, yet her career keeps her around them all the time. LOL. Maybe I just need to read the book to understand why. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. My review is coming tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a baseball lover either but really like these books. I agree with your review, Marcela. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm, I'm not a baseball fan...Unless the Philly's are in the playoffs...LOL. But I read another book you recommended from Sierra Dean, and I love it (waiting for the series to go on audio..lol) I like her writing style. Maybe one day I 'll give this a try.
    Thanks Marcela :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...