Contact Me

Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell by Paula Quinn


Title: The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell
Author: Paula Quinn
Series: The MacGregors: Highland Heirs, book 1
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Forever (March 25th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
"A HIGHLAND ROGUE

Edmund MacGregor will do anything to save Scotland from English rule-even kidnap Lady Amelia Bell for ransom. As the daughter of a duke and the chancellor's betrothed, she's the perfect pawn in this game. But from the moment he first lays eyes on his spirited captive, he can't resist stealing a kiss . . . 

AN ADVENTUROUS LADY

Lady Amelia's duty is to marry well, but that hasn't stopped her from fantasizing about true love. So when a sexy Scot appears in her home, she's beguiled. When he kidnaps her, she's furious. Yet as Edmund introduces her to a world of passion beyond her wildest dreams, can she leave her family behind for this handsome Highlander? And will Edmund risk the only true home he's ever known to capture the heart of this lovely lass?"
The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell is the first book in The MacGregors: Highland Heirs series by Paula Quinn.

The treaty that will unite Scotland and England only needs two signatures to be valid, the signature of the The Duke of Queensberry and the signature of Walter Hamilton, Earl of Seafield and Lord Chancellor of Scotland.
Edmund and his cousins, Lucan MacGregor, Darach Grant and Malcolm Grant need to stop them at any cost, with that in mind they decided to kidnap Lady Amelia Bell, niece of the duke and the chancellor’s betrothed, hoping that will be enough to stop the men for signing the treaty.
Their plan is to infiltrate the betrothal party and kidnap Amelia from her house.
Lady Amelia is not fond of Walter, she would love to marry somebody else, but she knows her feelings are of no importance, she will do anything her father says, after all she has already caused him so much embarrassment.
Amelia is very accident prone, something that not only has caused her problems, but also has made her famous in society. Her mother’s constant reminder that she’s not what she should be doesn’t help with her self-esteem. Her father and her best friend Sarah are the only people that accept her and love her despite her shortcomings, but her father cannot go against her mother wishes and Sarah is just a servant.
When Amelia meets Edmund at her betrothal party she can help it but wish Walter was more like him, but her impression of Edmund changes drastically when she learns his real intentions, unfortunately by then she has already been kidnaped and is faraway from home. The only positive thing about it is that Malcolm also kidnapped Sarah; at least Amelia won’t be alone during her ordeal.
Edmund first love is Scotland; the only problem is that Amelia is making him reconsider his priorities.
Amelia knows she shouldn’t feel attracted to Edmund, he not only kidnaped her, he’s also an outlaw, but after spending days in his company with him she not only understands his reasons, she admires him for it.

Edmund is the perfect hero, he’s loyal, caring, and devoted. His family and his land are everything for him; when he loves he loves deeply and will do anything for those he loves. If those are not enough qualities to love him he’s also smart, handsome, and strong.
I loved how he was with his cousins; I loved how he was with Amelia, even his love for his dog was inspiring and sweet. Edmund is an all around swoon worthy hero.

Sadly, I can say the same about Amelia. She was a very weak heroine. I understand she grew up with people telling her that she was bad news, that she was clumsy and wasn’t good enough, but she also had people that gave her love and told her she was not what others said. The problem with her is that she lacked of substance and courage and didn’t have any strength of character.
Every single bad thing that happened even if it wasn’t her fault she blamed herself, at the end she made bad decisions (with worst consequences) trying to fix things that didn’t need fixing. More than once I wanted to slap some sense into her.

The secondary characters are great; there is a strong feeling of camaraderie between the cousins. They fight, they joke and complain about each other all the time, but at the end they will give their lives to protect one another.

There is a side romance between Lucah and Sarah. I really loved how sweet and caring Lucah was. I also loved Sarah. I can almost say that I liked Sarah more than I liked Amelia.

Paula Quinn knows how to write historical romance and strong heroes, she also masterfully intermingles real facts of the time into her stories; The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell was not an exception to this.

Despite my problems with Amelia I honestly enjoyed reading The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell. I liked that we not only got one romance, but two. I also liked that Mrs. Quinn sowed the “romance” seeds for future books.
I’m looking forward to reading next novella in the series, The Sweet Surrender of Janet Buchanan; this will be Darach Grant’s book. I’m also looking forward to second book, The Wicked Ways of Alexander Kidd; this will be Malcolm’s sister, Caitrina’s book.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell (March 25th)
The Sweet Surrender of Janet Buchanan – Novella (October 7th)
The Wicked Ways of Alexander Kidd (October 28th)

Other reviews Goodreads

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the heroine was such a self-flagellating ninny. But it sounds like the hero and secondaries mostly made up for her. I'll keep an eye on this series and see if the female characters improve . . . Great review!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this one we were introduced to heroine of The Sweet Surrender of Janet Buchanan, she was good. I hope she'll be as good in her own book.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of weak heroines so I think I'm going to pass on this one even though it sounds like all of the other elements were good. Unfortunately, kick ass chicks are like the # 1 thing I look for in my reads... I know I really should try to broaden my horizons, but I just don't want to. LOL I know what I like and that's that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. Amelia was too wishy-washy for my taste too.

      Delete
  3. I read one book from this author before, and while I though it was well written, and I thought the same about the real facts, there was something missing, I still don't know what it is. I'd like to give the author another shot, but I'm not sure if this is the book to do tha twith. although 4 paws is bad at all...I like your for paws ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book wasn't bad at all, just the heroine was lacking.

      Delete
  4. Hm.....yes maybe cos I love Highlanders, but she just sound so meh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia is meh, but the rest of the book is not... and highlanders. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a surprise because heroines in historicals are usually ahead of their time, exuding girl power and independence. Maybe the next book is Sarah's? I can tell that would be a better story than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah's story was also in this one, hers is the second romance I talked about. ;)

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...