Contact Me

Friday, April 11, 2014

Audiobook Review: Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor


Title: Dreams of Gods & Monsters
Author: Laini Taylor
Narrated by: Khristine Hvam
Series: Daughter of Smoke & Bone
book 3
Length: 18 hrs and 11 mins
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Format: Audiobook
“By way of a staggering deception, Karou has taken control of the chimaera rebellion and is intent on steering its course away from dead-end vengeance. The future rests on her, if there can even be a future for the chimaera in war-ravaged Eretz.

Common enemy, common cause.

When Jael's brutal seraph army trespasses into the human world, the unthinkable becomes essential, and Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat. It is a twisted version of their long-ago dream, and they begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people.

And, perhaps, for themselves. Toward a new way of living, and maybe even love.

But there are bigger threats than Jael in the offing. A vicious queen is hunting Akiva, and, in the skies of Eretz ... something is happening. Massive stains are spreading like bruises from horizon to horizon; the great winged stormhunters are gathering as if summoned, ceaselessly circling, and a deep sense of wrong pervades the world.

What power can bruise the sky?

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy. 

At the very barriers of space and time, what do gods and monsters dream of? And does anything else matter?”
Dreams of Gods & Monsters is the third and last book in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone series by Laini Taylor. This audiobook is narrated by Khristine Hvam.

This review is going to be a bit difficult to write. Dreams of Gods & Monsters was my most anticipated audiobook of the year and although it was everything I was expecting it to be and more it wasn’t perfect, but at the same time its imperfections didn’t bother me nor did they diminish my enjoyment of the story.

The blurb explains very well what this book is about, saying more will be giving spoilers away and Dreams of Gods & Monsters is a book you need to experience all by yourself. It is also a book that should be read (listen to) as part of the series and not as a standalone.

Laini Taylor shows us once again how beautiful she can write. Her prose is poetic and inspires strong emotions; through her words we experience love, sadness, sacrifices, hope, friendship, failures, successes and much more.

Taylor’s characters are full of life and page by page we see them grow and becoming more. Karou and Akiva are dying to be together but they also know other things come first. Even though we may not like it they have their priorities in order and know that sometimes love has to wait, but they also know they won’t have to wait forever and when that moment finally comes… fireworks!!

I think this series has one of the best secondary characters ever. Zuzana and Mik are a great complement to Karou and Akiva. I love how they have become part of Karou’s family and they are accepted and loved by all. They are so great it’s impossible not to love them. They also bring humor and show us what it means to be a real friend.

In this installment there were also two other secondary characters that almost stole the show; they are Liraz and Ziri. Liraz had the most extraordinary transformation in this book. It wasn’t easy for her, her past, something that she used to be proud of, now only brings her repentance and shame, but she learns that it’s never too late to change if that change comes from the heart. I really couldn’t love her more in this installment.
Ziri, OMG! Ziri. He has the purest soul of all, he sacrifice so much for his people and for Karou knowing he will never get the recognition of his people or Karou’ heart. Still, he did what he knew was the right thing to do. His self-sacrifice was rewarded at the end and I couldn’t be happier with that outcome.

New characters are introduced in this installment. At the beginning I didn’t understand why they were brought into the story, but at the end they played an important role and their parts were clearly explained.

The pace is not action packed but there was always something going on, to add to that Laini Taylor gives us so many twists and turns and unpredictable situations that it was impossible to stop listening.
This audiobook is 18 hours 11 minutes long, it took me two days to finishing it. First day I listened until 3 am and second day I couldn’t go to bed until I finished it and that was at 5:10 am. Let me tell you something, if a book/audiobook keeps me awake until that time is because it’s a winner and that’s is exactly what Laini Taylor gives us with Dreams of Gods & Monsters, a winner and a perfect end to an amazing series.

Was Dreams of Gods & Monsters a perfect book? No, it wasn’t, but it was one of the best final books I have read for a series. Every open end was tightly close and explained satisfactorily. Some new threads were let open and I can only hope Laini Taylor is planning to write other books in this world or maybe a spinoff series.

As book I will give Dreams of Gods & Monsters a 4 paws, but my enjoyment was easily of 5 paws. So I’ll give it a 4 ½ Paws.

Now we need to talk about Khristine Hvam or should I call her the Super-Narrator; I’ll try not to gush but Khristine Hvam is simply amazing, she’s my favorite narrator ever and every new book she narrates only ascertains my love for her. Khristine Hvam is so talented sometimes I can’t believe she’s the only one doing the voices. She brings to life every single character giving it its own characteristics and attributes. She makes the characters’ voices so unique not once I was confused about which character was talking. Khristine Hvam is a brilliant narrator, one that took a great book and made it an excellent audiobook.

Do I recommend this audiobook? Hell yes! But I recommend you to read (listen to) it as part of the series, I don’t recommend you to read (listen to) it as a standalone. Believe me, you want to read (listen to) these books. Daughter of Smoke & Bone series is one of my favorite YA fantasy series and I’m sure it’ll continue to be one of my favorite series for years to come.

My Book Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
My Narrator Verdict: 5 Paws

Other books in the series
Days of Blood and Starlight
Dreams of Gods & Monsters

Other reviews Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. Wondeful review Marcela! I think we will agree in couple things. I'm planing on reviewing as a trilogy...Planing..LOL I love it as a whole.
    Greta job girl, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love it as a whole and I'm very glad I listened to it instead of reading it. Audiobooks rule! :)

      Delete
  2. I love KH too. She really is an excellent narrator.

    I didn't love book 1 in this series so I haven't read past it. I do have the first two on audio and may give them another whirl now that they are all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooooo! I loved first book, loved it. Try the audios, they are simply amazing. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  3. I am still waiting for the library to get
    book 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liraz and Ziri--YES. OMG I loved them. You KNOW ;) Now, we get to sit back and see what she's going to do next!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we won't have to wait for long.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...