Contact Me

Monday, April 14, 2014

Review: The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Forever Song
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden, book 3
Genre: YA Paranormal Dystopian
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book

*Warning: This review contains spoilers from previous books in the series*
“VENGEANCE WILL BE HERS

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster?

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

MONSTER

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.”
The Forever Song is the third and last book in the Blood of Eden trilogy by Julie Kagawa.

The Forever Song was one of my most awaited books of the year, sadly it was also my least favorite book in the series. Why? Angst, lots of unnecessary angst. That doesn’t mean it was a bad book, because it wasn’t. It just wasn’t as good as previous books.

The Forever Song starts right after the events in The Eternity Cure (second book). Allison, Kanin and Jackal are on their way to Eden. They need to stop Sarren at all cost before he unleashes the mutated virus that will eradicate everybody from the planet. Their road to Eden is not easy, Sarren has left them many surprises along the way, so many that their road could have been called The Gore Road.
To add to the difficulties they find on the road they also have to deal with Allison. She is devastated by Zeke’s death and her anger and pain is turning her into the monster she promised she’d never become, that equals to Allison’s Angst Festival.
Jackal is not too upset about it; he actually likes this new side of her, a side that matches him perfectly. Kanin is sad and heartbroken; Allison was his only hope, he thought she could be a model vampire, one that could live peacefully among humans. Despite all this they continue towards Eden, stopping Sarren is a priority and their own issues will have to wait.
One of Sarren’s surprises left for them is Zeke. Sarren turned him into a vampire, but not a normal one, Sarren has done something to him, something that even vampires frown upon. I can’t say more without giving spoilers away. I can only say that when Zeke joins the group Angst Festival Part 2 starts.

I really wanted to love this book, I wanted to love Allison, I wanted to love Zeke and I wanted to love Allison and Zeke together. Sadly that was not the case. If I’m honest I was bored with them and couldn’t care less for them. For me, Jackal and Kanin saved this book, especially Jackal.

In previous two books Allison grew and became a very likeable heroine. Sadly all that grow degenerates after she loses Zeke. I liked my heroines strong and no dependable of a guy. I understood her pain; losing somebody you love is devastating, but that shouldn’t mean you have to forget who you are to survive and that was exactly what happened with Allison.

Zeke, I used to like him, but in this book he was disappointing. I know he never wanted to be a vampire, but he was first and foremost a survivor and I expected him to be exactly that when he learns of his new nature, instead he drowns in angst and self-deprecation.

Of course, at the end Allison and Zeke come to terms with their natures and new situation, but after all the angst festival it was a bit too late-too much for me.

Now let’s talk about my favorite character in this installment, Jackal. Jackal is unpredictable, funny and unexpectedly wise. Jackal not only offered humor relief but surprisingly he also offered very sensible advice. As I said before, Jackal in unpredictable, it’s difficult to know if he’s trustworthy or not. Lucky for us in The Forever Song he shows us his good side. I can’t only say I really liked him and hope he gets his own spin-off series.

Kanin is a character I have loved since the moment he was introduced in this series and my love for him has only increased. Years back he made a mistake and since then he has dedicated his life to fix his wrongs. He loves his vampire children. Allison is his hope and even though Jackal is not the vampire Kanin wanted him to be he loves him and accepts him.
I loved seeing him interact with them, especially when Jackal and Allison were bickering like little children.
At the end he was able to do what he always wanted, even though it was heartbreaking I was happy he had his redemption.

Sarren! OMFG! He is one of the best villains I have ever read. He’s machiavellic and twisted. He is an insanely smart sociopath. Sarren knows what to do to affect them (Kanin, Jackal and Allison) the most and affect them he did. If his actions weren’t that crazy insane he will be somebody easy to admire. One of the most dangerous things about him is that he thinks he’s doing what’s best for the world.

The world building in Mrs. Kagawa’s books is always rich and very detailed and The Forever Song is not an exception to this. She also doesn’t shy about gritty details and that couldn’t be truer than in this installment.

The Forever Song is dark, gritty, dreary and full of angst. The end is very fitting for this series; it is not a HEA but one of hope for a better future.

Even though this book was not my favorite in the series it was still a really good book. I’m sad to see this series come to an end, but I’m also happy Mrs. Kagawa ended it in a high note.
I recommend this book and this series to fans of dark dystopian (with a touch romance) books. The Forever Song is not a stand-alone book, it should be read as part of a series.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
The Forever Song

Other reviews Goodreads

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . . I'm going to end up reading this series at some point, if for no other reason than I have ALL the books. I'm sorry it didn't end as well for you as it has for others. I'm sure we'll talk when I get to it ;)

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are great, don't take me wrong. Maybe with this installment it was one of those "it's me, not you (book)" cases. :)

      Delete
  2. I feel bad but JK and I just don't click. I tried her other series and I just didn't click with it. I might try the first in this series at some point,maybe it was just that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This are very different from the Fey series. I know some people who didn't like her Fey series but love this one. So... You never know.

      Delete
  3. Eh maybe, if the library got it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Kanon was a little too hidden as a character bu the others who are more present... I agree with you about Zeke you're right. And yes Sarren is really a big bad guy! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished more Kanin too, he's a great character.

      Delete
  5. Jackal is totally my favorite character from the second book so sounds like I'll be loving on him again for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...