Contact Me

Friday, April 4, 2014

Review The King by J.R. Ward


Title: The King
Author: J.R. Ward
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood,
book 12
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: NAL
Source: Can I have my money back?
Format: E-book
"Long live the King…
 
After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle--with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything--and everyone--at risk. 
Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it. But when she decides she wants a child, she’s unprepared for Wrath’s response--or the distance it creates between them. 
The question is, will true love win out... or tortured legacy take over?”
The King is the twelfth book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward.

After I finished reading The King I turned off my Amosu Couture 24-carat Gold-plated Kindle and took a deep breath, then I put on my Lanvin slippers and got up from my Sunpan Modern Bugatti sofa. While considering if to write a review or not I walked to my kitchen, open my Meneghini La Cambusa refrigerator, grabbed a bottle of Grey Goose L'Orange and served a good two ounces in a Lalique Facet tumbler. After enjoying my drink I decided to write a review (alcohol courage). So I went to my office, sat behind my Parnian desk on my Aresline Xten chair, open my Stealth MacBook Pro, and got up again, I needed to change; my Channel dress wasn’t comfy enough for what I needed to do. So I went to my designer closet, grabbed one of my Bottega Veneta tracksuits and changed. I was now as ready as I was going to be to write this review.

After that introduction I think you can guess some of my thoughts about The King. To tell you the true I wasn’t sure about writing this review because I didn’t want to write a bitchy review, so please bear with me, I’m going to do my best to write a not-too-bitchy review.

First I have to be honest with you and tell you that reading this book was a pain in the… there. I consider myself a relatively fast reader, but with this book after 24 hours I had only accomplished to read 18%!!! I thought about putting it on the side and picking up another book, but I really wanted to read it or at least I wanted to know what was the deal with Wrath and Beth; so I did the only thing left for me to do, I skimmed the hell out of it.

There were so many points of view in this book I felt as if I was watching a soccer game with the ball going everywhere but the arch. The biggest problem with this was that I didn’t care about half of the people in this book. Assail (who is a lame version of Rehv) and Sola… boring! Selena and Trez… kind of boring. Xcor and Layla… interesting enough but not enough page time to draw my attention. Wrath and Beth… good at times. There was also something with John Matthew but sadly that didn’t go anywhere.

The feel of this book was very different from previous books, there is no fighting, and there is no feel of the Brotherhood. The only conflicts are political and personal.
The prose is all over the place; the characters switch from “old” English to modern English every time they change their underpants. The timeline is completely wrong and the pop culture references are repetitive and over the top and let’s not talk about the brand naming. Ok, let’s talk about it. OMFG!! J.R. Ward even named the brand of the bottle of water Assail gives to Sola! Water people, water!! But the best worst one for me was the H. Which H? This one: “the gold H of his belt scratching at her”. Really? Really? H? J.R. Ward can’t say belt buckle, noooo, she couldn’t missed the opportunity to drop the Herm├Ęs name there. *headdesk* Of course not a normal desk, a Parnian desk. 

In summary, the first two thirds of this book were booooooring, last third was better but not great. The conflict was not conflict at all and the surprises were not surprises. My highlight of this book was one scene with Lassiter, just because of that scene I gave an extra ½ star to this book.

Do I recommend you to read this book? Only if you are a masochist like me and want to lose a day in your life. Will I read future books in this series? Right now I say no, but as I said before I’m a masochist so most probably I will. *cries*

This book was so over the place I needed to use some math to rate it.

The first two thirds of this books = 2 ½ Stars
Last Third of the book = 3 ½ Stars
2 ½ + 2 ½ + 3 ½ = 8 ½ /3 = 2,83, but I’m feeling generous so I will round it to 3 Stars

As I said before I'm going to add an extra ½ star just because of Lassiter for a total of 3 ½ Stars (you see, I’m very generous).

My Very Generous Verdict: 3 ½ Stars

Other books in the series
Dark Lover
Lover Eternal
Lover Awakened
Lover Revealed
Lover Unbound
Lover Enshrined
Lover Avenged
Lover Mine
Lover Unleashed
Lover Reborn
Lover at Last
The King

Other reviews Goodreads

21 comments:

  1. I just hit the 50% mark. Woohoo! And, it only took me like what, 4 days? Yeah, it's bad. I'm thinking I might call the BDB series quits after this one IF I finish it. Love your math calculations cuz yeah, this book totally needs to be broken down by suckage levels.

    I agree with everything you said, too much brand name dropping, gansta talk, POV's, side stories... and not enough action, time with Wrath/Beth, etc. Here's hoping that the 2nd half is better than the first.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last 30% of the book is better... if that is any consolation.

      Delete
  2. I think I am just going to say go look at your review! I am just done, done, done! Plus you know the book would be 200 pages shorter (6 hours shorter) if she would drop the name dropping. I am guessing but I bet I am close LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warth and Beth's story would have worked perfect as a novella, but I guess novellas doesn't make as much money as full length books.

      Delete
    2. I think hers would with her fan base. I am guessing she doesn't like them LOL

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. When I grow up I want to be you... I'm weak!!!

      Delete
  4. OMG I LOVE YOUR REVIEW!!! This book, yes, too long. I agree with everything you said but I'm not so bitchy about it. I didn't hate this book like you and I am most likely going to read the next book because, well, I'm curious. But my passion is gone for the series. The scene with Lassiter, that is the only scene with all the Brothers and you get a glimpse of that camaraderie that made these books so amazing in the beginning. I miss that. The 'new' characters just don't have that. They are masters and slaves as opposed to friends. But overall, I liked this one better than Payne's book. Wrath and iAm were awesome and Beth too. I think they saved this one for me. GREAT review Marcela! Still have no idea what I will rate this book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, my passion is also gone for the series, but "most likely I'm also going to read the next book because, well," I suck!! :)

      Delete
  5. Let me kick off my Louboutins and find my burberry mouth pad before I start...LMAO! I definetelly enjoyed it more than you did, but my rating is 4 as compared to the other books that always rate five...But I love these audios, and I'm glad someone read to me...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your Louboutins! I haven't listened to this books, but I've heard great things about the narrator, maybe one day I'll listen to some of the first books.

      Delete
  6. Yes to all of this!!! And the timeline is such a mess. It's only been two years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also surprised when Beth said that. I think J.R. Ward's computer got a virus a messed up her "calendar".

      Delete
  7. I love your review. Sadly, I'm on the verge of a break up with this series and haven't even bought The King yet. I'll end up reading it just because I like to torture myself, but it won't be for quite a while.
    Thanks for the solid gold, jewel encrusted review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been considering breaking up with this series for a long time, but in regards to this series I'm an ugly girlfriend, you know, one of those that stays in the relationship even when they are treated badly.

      Delete
  8. You and I have more or less the same sentiments but I guess I'm more naive (or stupid) coz I gave this book 4 stars LOL.

    I was hoping that this book will be a dual POV thing only, Wrath and Xcor's like how she did it with Rehvenge's book. I didn't get why Assail was there, he didn't even cross paths with the Brothers, if anything his storyline would have more bearing on Trez and iAm's since they move around the same circle with their druglord/pimp schemes.

    Also I missed the fighting and the stupid banter between the brothers, I've noticed that this is slowly becoming more of a vampire romance. I was expecting to be floored by this, it's Wrath's book after all and he's a favorite. I hope she reads the reviews and realize that this multiple POV shit isn't working.

    And I agree, w/all of JM's seizures I was half expecting he'll realize he's Darius. She is fond of leaving loose threads like that. Remember when she introduced Muhrder and completely shelved him? Bah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, J.R. Ward is the master of leaving loose threads. It infuriates me.
      I agree with you and Assail, I don't like him and don't see why he was in this book. The only significant thing with him is that he's selling drugs to the Lessers. I'm sure the Brothers are going to love that.

      Delete
  9. I think I am glad I waited to get it. Great review and now I honestly am not sure if I want to read it at all. I do love the series though so I don't know what I will do. Maybe I will stick with the Midnight Breed series instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it, these books are like crack, we know they are not good for us but we still read them. Also, many people like it, maybe you will like it too.

      Delete
  10. OH NO!!! I was afraid of this. I mean what was the deal with going back to Wrath and Beth when there are still so many unfinished stories out there (Xcor and Layla especially). Might be time to take a break from the BDB and come back to it in a few years when Ward puts out a book about one of the couples I'm particularly interested in (Xcor and Layla). I glad Lassiter was worth half a star, but sorry it was for a single scene. Ungh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been happy with this book being a novella. It didn't need to be a full length novel. I couldn't have been gladder with my skimming talents. :)

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...