Contact Me

Monday, May 12, 2014

Early Review: Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones


Title: Sixth Grave on the Edge
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson, book 6
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: St. Martin's Press (May 20th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Few things in life can come between a grim reaper and her coffee, but the sexy, sultry son of Satan is one of them. Now that Reyes Farrow has asked for her hand, Charley Davidson feels it's time to learn more about his past, but Reyes is reluctant to open up. When the official FBI file of his childhood abduction lands in her lap, Charley decides to go behind her mysterious beau’s back and conduct her own investigation. Because what could go wrong?
Unfortunately, another case has fallen into her lap—one with dangerous implications. Some very insistent men want Charley to hunt down a witness who is scheduled to testify against their boss, a major player in the local crime syndicate. If Charley doesn't come up with an address in 48 hours, the people closest to her will start to disappear.
 
Add to that a desperate man in search of the soul he lost in a card game, a dogged mother determined to find the ghost of her son, and a beautiful, young Deaf boy haunted by his new ability to see the departed as clearly as he sees the living, and Charley has her hands full. The fact that Reyes has caught on to her latest venture only adds fuel to the inferno that he is. Good thing for Charley she's used to multi-tasking and always up for a challenge…especially when that challenge comes in the form of Reyes Farrow.”
Sixth Grave on the Edge is the sixth installment in the highly acclaimed Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

Sixth Grave on the Edge starts where previous book left on. Reyes is waiting for answer to the question he popped and not getting it. Charley wants to answer but she’s having so much fun not answering she keeps postponing it.
Charlie’s life is not dull; she is doing her best to get Cookie and her uncle Ubie together while working on couple of cases, one of them involves the mob and the other Reyes’ parents.

In this installment we learn some truths about Reyes’ childhood and his parents. We also learn about Angel’s past and let me tell you, his story made me tear up a little bit.
There is some light about Mr. Wong; I have a good theory about him, but I can’t say much because I don’t want to give spoilers away, let’s just say I’m sure he’ll play an important role in books to come and “if I’m right” he will be one of the main players in the good guys team. I know I’ve been cryptic but I don’t want to give much away.

We are also introduced to a new character, the Dealer. The Dealer is one of those guys you don’t know if he will be a friend or foe, but deep inside you really hope he’s one of the good guys. He brings some inside information about what it is to come and if he’s right, the future looks a little bit bleak for Charley.

Everything we love about this series is present in this installment. The humor, the camaraderie between Charley and Cookie, the hotness that is Reyes (two words “wall scene”), the mysteries and investigations that always surrounds Charley, but even though everything seem to be there I can’t help but feel there was something missing. I’ve been trying to pinpoint what was it, but haven’t been able; I just have that feeling that something wasn’t there. Don’t take me wrong, Sixth Grave on the Edge was as good as it predecessors, with the perfect balance of emotional and laughing out loud moments that seems to be Mrs. Jones’ trademark, but… I still have that “something missing” feeling.

Be prepare for a ride, Sixth Grave on the Edge will grab you from the very first page and it won’t let you go until you reach that final page and OMFG, what an end! If you thought the end of Fifth Grave Past the Light was a tough one… get ready, because this one will leave you speechless and dying to get your hands on next installment, Seventh Grave and No Body. There is good news about this because this time around we won’t have to wait long, Seventh Grave and No Body will be release on October 21st.

Sixth Grave on the Edge shouldn’t be read as a stand alone, but as a part of the series. If you haven’t read this series can I ask you in which world do you live? What are you waiting for? Go and read it now…. Are you reading it already?
The Charley Davidson series is one of the best urban fantasy series in the market and one everybody should read and Sixth Grave on the Edge is a great addition to an amazing series.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Third Grave Dead Ahead
Sixth Grave on the Edge (May 20th)
Seventh Grave and No Body (October 21st)

Other reviews Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. I skimmed your review for fear of spoilers. I'm holding out for the audiobook; I just LOVE Lorelei King's narration of this series. I pre-ordered it because you just can't go wrong with Charley & Reyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to start this series despite having the first three books... I hope you had an awesome Mother's Day, Marcela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it too :) I'm sure the narrator put the extra half start on my rating. I really enjoy how much it gets revealed in this installment, but I'm not liking how much I have to suffer between now and the next book :)
    Great review Marcela :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not reading your review yet. I only came here to see the star rating =) I'm glad you enjoyed this, Marcela. I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am counting down to the release of the audiobook. Though I read your review cause I don't mind knowing that awesomeness is coming my way LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg I loathe you! I want this one, I! I! I!

    ;) Lucky devil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I"m so glad you enjoyed it, it was so good! I read it but I'm waiting for the 28th to post it as on the tour. Thanks for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am ashamed to admit that I've only read the first book in this series. I really liked it, but for whatever reason, I only made it a couple of chapters into book 2 before setting it aside . . . and that was YEARS ago. I'm guessing you'll say it's worth another shot ;) Was book 2 a slow one for you too, and if it was, when do things pick up? Just so I can prepare myself, LOL.

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...