Contact Me

Friday, June 27, 2014

Early Review: Cold Hard Secret by Sierra Dean


Title: Cold Hard Secret
Author: Sierra Dean
Series: Secret McQueen, book 7
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Samhain Publishing - July 1st
Source: Review copy from author
Format: E-book
“The Secret’s out, and heads will roll.

Ever since her near-death experience at the hands of the villainous Dr. Kesteral, Secret McQueen hasn’t been the same. As in damaged almost beyond repair. But as usual, Secret has no time to lick her wounds.

Armed to the fangs, she and Desmond embark on a whirlwind quest for revenge that takes them to the sewers of Paris to put an end to Alexandre Peyton. Instead, it’s almost the end of them, and before she can stop him, Peyton rips the veil off her deepest secret.

The devil’s not through muddling up the details, either. An eye-opening confab with Sig in the Big Apple leaves her wondering if she’s ever been in control of her own life at all. Plus, a cryptic postcard sends her racing back to her Manitoba hometown, fearing for her grandmere.

With the Council holding the power of life and death over her head, Secret’s circle of friends is shrinking, while the pool of enemies looking for payback is widening like a pool of her own blood.

Warning: Contains the least romantic Paris getaway in history and an unstoppable hybrid with an impossible choice to make between two men who’ve been to hell and back for her.”
Cold Hard Secret is the seventh book in the Secret McQueen series by Sierra Dean.

If you know me or have been following my reviews you should know I adore the Secret McQueen series. I have read every single book and every single novella published in this series and I have loved every one of them and even though Sierra Dean broke my heart and stepped on it that was the case with this last installment.

Sierra Dean is one of those authors who is not afraid of hurting her characters, she has done it many times, but nothing compares to what she did to Secret in Secret Unleashed (previous book in the series). Now, in this installment, Secret is dealing with a serious case of PTSD and dealing with it the best way she can… kicking ass. The problem is running head first into dangerous situations sometimes is not the best way to deal with things.

I don’t want to say much about what happened in this book because I don’t want to give spoilers away, so I will only talk about what I felt while reading this book and that was anguish, fear, surprise and heart wrenching sadness… this book made me cry, cry like a baby. Sierra Dean you are an evil author, you broke my heart, my poor fragile heart!… but I think I’m a masochist because I want more, I need more, and knowing there is only one book left in this series is not something easy to take. I don’t think I’m ready to say goodbye to Secret and all the characters I love…. My Holden, My Sig, Desmond, Lucas can go fry an egg for all I care and the rest of the amazing cast that made of this, the amazing series it is.

So many things happened in Cold Hard Secret. Some secrets are now in the open, some decision were made, some questions were answered and the hardest one is something I can’t talk about without giving spoilers away, for that one I need to use a GIF to express what I felt.


Ok, one GIF was not enough to express how that event made me feel, I need at least two…


The end of Cold Hard Secret is one of those that will leave you open mouthed, thinking what the hell is going on and what is going to happen next. To learn that we need to wait until December for the release of next and last book in the series *cries inconsolably*, A Secret to Die For.
I’m scared from that title. Why?  Because I know Sierra Dean and she isn’t afraid of hurting, killing, maiming or doing worse to the characters I love… Please Sierra, be nice, my heart can take much more.

Yes, I know I have used Amazing many times in this review, but that’s the only way to describe this book and this series in general.
Cold Hard Secret is a book fans of this series NEED to read. Cold Hard Secret shouldn’t be read as a standalone, it should be read as part of this Amazing series. What!? You haven’t read this series! What!? Why!? The Secret McQueen series is urban fantasy at its best and it’s a series everybody should read. Did you hear me? Go, read it now!

My Verdict: 5 Paws

Other books in the series
The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters (Novella)
Something Secret This Way Comes
A Bloody Good Secret
Secret Santa (Novella)
Deep Dark Secret
Cold Hard Secret (July 1sh)
A Secret to Die For (December 2014)

Other reviews Goodreads


3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so late in this series but I love it as well. I read book 3 but I have book 4 at home I need to get into them but as they're expensive I take my time and I like that I don't buy them all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this series!! I'm like two books behind though, so I really need to catch up, b/c I need to hurry up and read all this amazing-ness myself. Glad you loved it, Marcella! SOON.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...