Contact Me

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Review: Stone Song by D.L. McDermott


Title: Stone Song
Author: D.L. McDermott
Series: Cold Iron, book 3
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Fae
Publisher: Pocket Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Sorcha Kavanaugh never believed Gran’s stories about the Fair Folk, until one of the creatures walked into a bar where she was singing and stole a year of her life. So when Elada Brightsword, the right hand of South Boston’s renegade Fae patriarch, interrupts her set at the Black Rose, Sorcha knows trouble has found her . . . again.

The Fae warrior has admired Sorcha Kavanaugh from afar for months, but he’s aware of her unhappy history with the Fae, and has been waiting for the right time to approach her. Unfortunately for Elada, time has just run out. An old enemy, the malign Prince Consort, has identified Sorcha as a Druid descendent with the potential to become a stone singer, a bard with a voice that can shatter the strongest magical constructs.

Now, if she wants to survive, Sorcha must learn to trust one of the creatures she fears most.”
Stone Song is the third book in the Cold Iron series by D.L. McDermott.

I didn’t know what kind of Fae would Elada be and after the way he behaved in previous books I thought he will be a cold-hearted bastard, but to my great surprise he was completely different, he was a sweetheart. Elada is a warrior, but after so many years living between humans his heart has been softened.
Elada has had a crush on Sorcha since the first time he listened to her play her music. Her voice and mastery with her instruments have captivated him for months, but he has never had the courage to approach her. Now, with no other option he needs to come close to her, to protect her and keep her away from the Prince Consort and his plans.
Eloda is a swoon worthy hero, he’s loyal, caring and hot as hell. I didn’t love him in previous books, but loved him in this installment.

Music runs through Sorcha’s veins; even her grandmother’s warnings and her bad experiences haven’t been able to stop her from playing. She knows her music attracts the Fae and has tried to keep them at bay as much as possible. When Elada approaches her bearing warnings, she does what she does best when a Fae gets too close to her, she runs; but after meeting the Prince Consort, Sorcha decides to go with the lesser of two evils, and accepts Elada’s help.

On the beginning I wasn’t sure about Sorcha, my first impression of her was of a weak woman, but after seeing more of her and learning about her bad experiences it was easy to understand her behavior. The good thing about her was that when it was important she pull her weight, and became a kickass heroine worthy of my admiration.

Elada and Sorcha’s chemistry is off the charts. They both are attracted to each other, but take their time to act upon their attraction, and when they are together fireworks fly!

In this installment we also see the couples from previous books, we see what they are doing with their lives and how everything is going with them.
We also see the Prince Consort, even though he didn’t have a major part in this book it was enough to creep me out and wonder what else he has planned.

The villains in this book are somehow worse than the Prince Consort, because some of them were supposed to be allies who tricked friends. They show us once more how sinister and malevolent the Fairy really are and that’s one of the things I love about this series. D.L. McDermott gives us cruel and vicious Fae, including her heroes. They may be sweet and caring towards the women they love, but still they are beings capable of committing atrocious actions for the well-being of those they care from.

We see glimpses of who is going to be the next couple in the series, I don’t want to say much not to give spoilers away, let’s just say that guy needs to earn his place in my heart, because right now he has many minus points on my hero scale.

Stone Song is a great addition to a highly entretaining and original series. I recommend this book and this series to fans of paranormal romance and to anyone who likes to read about the Fae, especially the ruthless kind of Fae.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Stone Song

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to try this series one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I need to read this!!! Dude I just wasted a day trying to read a book that I eventually DNFd, I WISH I picked this up instead! Grrr! Great review, marcela! Thanks for making me excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthless Fae are the only kind to read :) I actually gave my copy of the first one to my brother to read because it didn't work for me. I might need to get it back and see if it was just my mood.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...