Contact Me

Friday, July 25, 2014

Review: The Game and the Governess by Kate Noble


Title: The Game and the Governess
Author: Kate Noble
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Pocket Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Three friends. One Wager. Winner takes all.

The Earl—‘Lucky Ned’ Ashby. Pompous, preening, certain that he is beloved by everyone.

The Miller—John Turner. Proud, forced to work as the Earl’s secretary, their relationship growing ever more strained.

The Doctor—Rhys Gray. Practical, peace-loving, but caught in the middle of two warring friends.

Their wager is simple: By trading places with John Turner and convincing someone to fall in love with him, Ned plans to prove it’s him the world adores, not his money. Turner plans to prove him wrong.

But no one planned on Phoebe Baker, the unassuming governess who would fall into their trap, and turn everything on its head...
The Earl of Ashby also known as Lucky Ned, believes his luck with the ladies has everything to do with his charm and not his title. One of his best friend and secretary (John Turner), wants to prove him wrong and challenges him to a wager, in which they will change places for two weeks, two weeks for Ned to pretend to be Mr. Turner and make a gentle woman fall in love with him.
The stakes are high, but Ned is sure that will be an easy win and accepts gladly.
What they never consider was that they both could lose greatly with this bet.

It took me a long time to get into the story, almost 60%. After that the story picks up and it was more enjoyable. I think this has a lot to do with Ned. On the beginning he’s not a very likeable character; he’s pompous, shallow and selfish. He gets better towards the middle of the book, but still, at times it wasn’t enough to like him.
Turner wasn’t bad at all. He was better than Ned, that’s for sure. I wish I could have seen a resolution in his story.

The heroine, Phoebe Baker was my favorite character. I really liked her; I liked that despite her circumstances she continues to find things to smile.

The story is entertaining, but as I said before, the beginning is very slow and it drags at times. The writing is good, but if I’m honest this book didn’t impress me.

The Game and the Governess was my first book by Kate Noble and most probably it will be my last.

To rate this book I have to use math. The first part of the book deserves a 2 ½ Paws and the second part 3 Paws. That will give the book 2 Paws, but I feel generous today and I’m rounding it to 3 Paws.

My Verdict: 3 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Nice review, Marcela. I'm sorry it took you so long to get into it, but I'm glad that you were at least able to enjoy it a little bit. I'm going to take a pass. If you didn't like it enough to want to read anything else by this author, then yeah . . . I'm still pretty new to the genre, and have too many Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Lisa Kleypas HRs I need to catch up on, to waste time with this, so THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly I can't recommend this one.

      Delete
  2. Oh pooh! I have enjoyed her books but the last one, eh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard great things about her books, that's why I requested this one. Some people liked it, so maybe it was me and not the book... who knows.

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...