Contact Me

Monday, July 14, 2014

Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson


Title: The Kiss of Deception
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Series: The Remnant Chronicles, book 1
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Henry Holt
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“In a society steeped in tradition, Princess Lia’s life follows a preordained course. As First Daughter, she is expected to have the revered gift of sight—but she doesn’t—and she knows her parents are perpetrating a sham when they arrange her marriage to secure an alliance with a neighboring kingdom—to a prince she has never met.

On the morning of her wedding, Lia flees to a distant village. She settles into a new life, hopeful when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deception abounds, and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—even as she finds herself falling in love.”
The Kiss of Deception is the first book in The Remnant Chronicles trilogy by Mary E. Pearson.

The Kiss of Deception is not a perfect book, there are some things you need to overlook or see with kind eyes to really enjoy it.

Princess Lia is character you need to know to like. On the beginning she comes as a selfish-immature-chit. She does some things that will not only make you roll your eyes, but will lower your appreciation of her. She grows with time and soon after she realizes of her mistakes. It may be a bit too late… but better late than never.

If there is one thing I hate about YA is love Triangles. kill me slowly, but don’t give me a love triangle… In the blurb there is a hint of a love triangle in the story, but don’t worry… it’s just that, a hint. Yes, there is a girl and two boys. Both boys may be interested in the girl, but the girl has eyes only for one of them.

Talking about the boys, Pearson did something great here. I like when authors surprise me and she did just that. How? She confused the hell out of me about who was who… and when the light came to life I was like… WHAT? How? I had to go back and check where I miss “the clue”, just to realize Pearson is a tricky, tricky author. Well-done Mrs. Pearson, Well done!

Both boys, the prince and the assassin have good attributes, but if I have to pick one, I’ll pick the prince, that doesn’t mean I didn’t like the assassin, because even though I don’t agree with some of his actions, I did like him. I understand where he is coming from and why he did what he did.

The story is good, original and not too original ideas mixed together, but the writing is what makes it all work seamlessly. Pearson writing is lyrical and fluid and will keep you reading until the very end. The pace starts slow, but soon after it picks up and you will find yourself glued to the pages, wanting to know more.

The world building is interesting, with a complicated and delicate political situation between the neighboring kingdoms. There are hints about the existence of magic, but when don’t see much about it. There are also references about the Ancients and the Ancients’ cities that may suggest this is our world, but many years in the future.

As I said before, The Kiss of Deception is not a perfect book, but is one I really enjoyed. The end is not a super cliffhanger, but is one that will leave you dying to get your hands on next book, The Heart of Betrayal, but for that one, you have to wait to next year.

I recommend this book to YA Fantasy fans, especially if they like their fantasy with a high dose of romance.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
The Kiss of Deception
The Heart of Betrayal (2015)

Other reviews Goodreads

12 comments:

  1. I seem to have a weakness for authors with lyrical writing styles, and although Jessica didn't love this one, you did and that's good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I really hope you like it. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  2. Eh, I do not like my fantasy with romance, but still it sounds so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay away of this one if you don't like fantasy with romance.

      Delete
  3. Man, this book is popular today. I'm struggling with fantasy now though so I'm not sure I'll be reading this anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all go through those days. I'm still struggling with erotica. :(

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of the writing style even if the premise isn't very unique. I know Tina loved this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the premise is not original, but it's entertaining.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I could never get passed the running away. I tried, but consequences kept rearing their ugly heads, and up until the very end I didn't feel like Lia accepted what a mistake it was. And I noticed the POV changes being labeled as "Prince" and "Assassin" after we had already had a few labeled with their actual names, so I was more annoyed than surprised . . . blah. I'm sorry I didn't like this one as much as you did, but I still have hope for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like next one better than this one, I really do.

      Delete
  6. Oh I remember the review by Jessica and if I remember correctly she didn't like it so much, but for some reason I thought I would, so I went ahead and added it to my TBR, now I think I have a good chance to enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it... hopefully you will like it as much as I did. *fingers crossed*

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...