Contact Me

Monday, July 21, 2014

Review: Poison Promise by Jennifer Estep


Title: Poison Promise
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin, book 11
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Pocket Books (July 22th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
“Gin Blanco is hard-nosed, sexy, and lethal. Nicknamed “The Spider,” she’s a stone elemental assassin who brings her unique mix of magic and tact to every assignment, no matter the target.

There’s a new drug on the streets of Ashland, and its name “Burn” sums up the potent effect it has on its users. When one of her restaurant employees is threatened by dealers of the drug, Gin steps in to set things straight…”
Poison Promise is the eleventh book in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

Gin Blanco is tired of people trying to kill her, but that’s her life. Being the famous assassin “The Spider” has its drawbacks and that is one of them. Gin’s sister, detective Bria has her sights on Beauregard “Beau” Benson, drug lord and king of Southland who is pushing a new drug called Burn. But Bria’s obsession with Beau is putting not only her life in danger but that of those around her.
Gin has retired from her “profession”, but when the people she cares about are threatened she has to stepped up and do what she does best, take her Silverstone knives out to play. The only problem is that Beau is not her usual enemy; he’s a sadistic vampire with a special magic that lets him feed from other people’s emotions.
The good thing is that Gin is not alone, she has a group of friends willing to help her every step of the way.

I have to be honest, I’ve been going through a kind of reading slump and I’m not enjoying much the books I’ve been reading. Even though I knew and felt this book was better than previous couple of books in the series, I just couldn’t get into it as much as I wanted. I’m blaming it on me, not on the book. I think it was one of those “it’s me, not you” cases.

Saying that, I can say I liked Gin in this book, I liked that we see her tough side and her insecure side. That’s what makes her a remarkable heroine. She is not perfect, she’s not omnipotent, she has insecurities, and knows she has limitations. Still, she does what needs to be done to protect those she cares about.
In this installment she’s tired of hiding and comes out in the open. She knows that now that she has publicly proclaimed to be The Spider things will be more interesting for her and consequently for those around her.

One good thing about Poison Promise was that I felt love for Owen again. What he did in previous books is now in the past and he’s back to be the perfect man for Gin.

Finn is the perfect sidekick. He can kick ass when necessary and at the same time he brings the comedy relief to balance the story. He loves Gin and has always been there for her. I really couldn’t like him more.

Now we have come to Bria, OMFG! Bria! I wanted to slap her more than once. What happened to her? She used to be a pain in the neck for Gin then she accepted her for what she was (an assassin and her sister) and now, in this installment she is back being a prick! She said many hurtful things and was very judgmental about Gin’s life. She not only hurt Gin deeply, she also put her life in danger.
Later on she regretted her actions, but I can’t helped but think that deep down Bria still feels and thinks that way about Gin, if not, she wouldn’t have said those hurtful things.

In Poison Promise we see everything we expect from the books in this series, non-stop action, violent confrontations, creepy villains, Gin getting her ass kicked and kicking ass.
In this installment we finally meet M.M. Monroe and even though I guessed who she was, I can’t help but feel that what is to come for Gin are things we have seen before (first books). I really hope I’m mistaken and the new villains won’t be new versions of Mab Monroe and her cronies, because that would be very disappointing.

Poison Promise is a great addition to a great series. I recommend reading these books in order to get the full effect of the Elemental Assassin series.

I’m looking forward to next book in the series, Black Widow, to be released on November 25th.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Spider’s Bite
Web of Lies
Venom
Tangled Threads
By A Thread
Poison Promise
Black Widow (November 25th)

Other reviews Goodreads


6 comments:

  1. Great review. I just wrote several comments on Jen Red-Hot-Book's blog, so I won't repeat here... But I will agree that it's tough to read a book and write a review while in a reading slump. I know that I've read books and rated lower than usual because of "me" - whether I was going through something, in a reading slump, or never found a big enough block of time to get into the story. It sucks, especially when it's a series that you normally love.

    I did enjoy this one a lot. I didn't have an issue with Bria's story line b/c I feel that yes - she DID still have those feelings deep down and now she FINALLY got them out after seeing what Gin does and goes through in a more personal manner.

    Anyhow, hope you get out of your slump soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!

    So happy Owen's back to his old self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black Widows is coming out in November now?? I thought it was December, that's even better news! Bria aside, this book was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow there are way more in the series than I realized! I've still not started these though I have book one on the tablet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang it. I tried to comment on this on the 22nd, but it wouldn't post, so I saved the comment in a draft, and I just now remembered it. So FIVE DAYS after the fact:

    This is what I needed to get back into the series. I don't know if I'll be able to fully forgive Owen for his stupidity, but at least he's trying. Great review, Marcela!

    LOL. I can't get passed those horns either. Hahahaha!! (<-----I have no idea, why I wrote this, or what horns I'm talking about, but I'm going to hope it makes sense . . . )

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...