Contact Me

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Why You Should Read/Listen The Riyria Revelations Series by Michael J. Sullivan


In 2011 I discovered The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan. I consider a lucky day the day I came across this series. Why? Because The Riyria Revelations made me fall in love with the fantasy genre all over again. I love this series so much I have read it twice. Last couple of weeks, for the first time, I listened to the audiobooks and let me tell you something, they are GREAT. They are so good I couldn’t stop listening until I reach the very end. They are long audios, but they are excellent. Tim Gerard Reynolds narration is top notch, he brings to life the characters and the world. I really cannot recommend them enough. 


The Riyria Revelations has everything I look in a fantasy series, great characters, complex world, magic, action, humor, and much more. I love this series so much I want you to give it a try, I promise you you will not regret it. 


To give you a little taste of what The Riyria Revelations is all about I’m sharing with you some of my favorite quotes from the books.

“Hadrian shook his head and sighed. “Why do you have to make everything so difficult? They’re probably not bad people—just poor. You know, taking what they need to buy a loaf of bread to feed their family. Can you begrudge them that? Winter is coming and times are hard.” He nodded his head in the direction of the thieves. “Right?”
“I ain’t got no family,” flat-nose replied. “I spend most of my coin on drink.”
“You’re not helping,” Hadrian said.”
“So,” Royce said, “you want us to escape from this prison, kidnap the
king, cross the countryside with him in tow while dodging soldiers who I assume might not accept our side of the story, and go to another secret prison so that he can visit an inmate?”
Arista did not appear amused. “Either that, or you can be tortured to death in four hours.”
“Sounds like a really good plan to me,” Hadrian declared.“Royce?”
“I like any plan where I don’t die a horrible death.”
“There are still eight of us,” Guy pointed out. “Not exactly an even fight.”
“I was thinking the same thing,” Mauvin said. “Sadly, there’s no one else here we can ask to join your side.”
Guy looked at Mauvin, then Hadrian, for a long moment as the men glared across the ash at each other. Then he nodded and lowered his blade. “Well, I can see I’ll have to report your misconduct to the archbishop.”
“Go ahead,” Hadrian said. “His body is buried with the rest of them just down the hillside.”
“There you are!” he shouted at them. “Father has half the castle turned
out looking for you.”
“Us?” Hadrian asked.
“Yes.” Fanen nodded. “He wants to see the two thieves in his chambers
right away.”
“You didn’t steal the silver or anything, did you, Royce?” Hadrian
asked.
“I would bet it has more to do with your flirting with Lenare this afternoon
and threatening Mauvin just to show off,” Royce retorted.
“That was your fault,” Hadrian said, jabbing his finger at him.”
“You're not going to charge us for the tower, I hope," Hadrian said. "But if you are, it was Royce's fault and should come out of his share.” 
“Their jobs were almost too clean for Royce's taste.”
“See, that’s the difference,” Mauvin said. “I suffer a loss and people console me. Royce suffers a loss and whole towns evacuate.”
Trust me, give this series a chance and thank me later. 

Books in the series 
Theft of Swords (The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha) 
Rise of Empire (Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm) 
Heir of Novron (Wintertide & Percepliquis)

16 comments:

  1. I just read Theft of Swords and just got the Rise of the Empire from Amazon. I am totally addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I'm currently listening to The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles)... I'm not ready to say goodbye to Hadrian and Royce yet.

      Delete
  2. Yes, ma'am! I believe you. I doubt I'll got the audio route, but I'll definitely add them to my fantasy TBR (if they aren't on there already). Also . . . HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORGEOUS!

      Delete
    2. Jessica: Please read them, I'm sure you are going to love them.
      Braine: Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. oooooh good option for me to listen to on my commute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are great. The narrator does an excellent job. I really hope you like them.

      Delete
  4. You know I don't listen to books and I know you like 'em long. Id read them though... I second Blodeuedd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't into audios, but life has gotten more easier with them. Traffic is not a problem and I even enjoy doing household chores. :)

      Delete
  5. Going to see if I can find them at my library (or convince my library to get them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have my fingers crossed for that. ;)

      Delete
  6. You have mentioned this to me before, and this is it, I'm going to get the first book, right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Please let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  7. Couldn't find them as e-books on the net but found two at the library : "the crown conspiracy" and "Avempartha" (The Riyria Revelations, #1 and #2). I never heard of that series, so thanks a lot for sharing !

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...