Contact Me

Monday, September 22, 2014

Early Review: He’s So Fine by Jill Shalvis


Title: He’s So Fine
Author: Jill Shalvis
Series: Lucky Harbor, book 11
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing (September 30th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
For Olivia Bentley, Lucky Harbor is more than the town where she runs her new vintage shop. It's the place where folks are friendly to strangers-and nobody knows her real name. Olivia does a good job of keeping her past buried, not getting too cozy with anyone . . . until she sees a man drowning. Suddenly she's rushing into the surf, getting up close and personal with the hottest guy she's ever laid hands on.

Charter boat captain Cole Donovan has no problem with a gorgeous woman throwing her arms around his neck in an effort to "save" him. In fact, he'd like to spend a lot more time skin-to-skin with Olivia. He's just not expecting that real trouble is about to come her way. Will it bring her deeper into Cole's heart, or will it be the end of Olivia's days in little Lucky Harbor?
He's So Fine is the eleventh book in the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis.

I love Jill Shalvis and I love this series. Every time I pick one of these books I know I will be transported to Lucky Harbor to visit some of my favorite characters ever. Characters that after eleven books feel almost like family. That was the case with previous books and that was the case (I was hoping to experience) with this book. The only problem was He's So Fine didn’t make me feel as good as previous books.
After reading the opening scene of this book I knew this book was going to be different, why? Because the scene was so farfetched that it was impossible to be believable. The second scene didn’t help with that because Olivia and Cole did very “unnecessary” things that didn’t make sense. I can’t say much without giving spoilers away. Let’s just say that by then I have already rolled my eyes more than once. To add to that Olivia is not an easy to like heroine, she’s frustrating. This girl has secrets, secrets she knew that sooner or later were going to come to light. Still, she preferred to live in Denial Island and cry later in her regrets when her secrets came back to bite her in the ass.
While hiding her secrets she betrayed everybody’s trust, her friends’, Cole’s, Cole’s family’s… everybody. I hate liars and she lied by omission, over and over again.  

I liked Cole; I liked how he was with his Olivia and with his family. I didn’t like him much with his friends and how he handled things when Olivia’s secrets came to light. Why? Because he became a drama queen.
There was a misunderstanding between him and his friends and I didn’t like the way it was “explained and solved”. I think there was something more needed there for them to be ok.

In this installment we are introduced to Callie, she’s going to be Tanner’s love interest in next book, One in a Million. There is a connection between Callie and one of the most important characters from Lucky Harbor and I can’t wait to see how that is going to affect their relationship.

He's So Fine wasn’t my favorite book in the series, but still it was a fun and entertaining read. I will read next book in the series because IT’S THE LAST BOOK in the series. I’m a bit sad to know there is only one more visit to Lucky Harbor left, but at the same time I think it’s time to say goodbye to this characters and to this little town.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Simply Irresistible
The Sweetest Thing
Head Over Heels
Lucky in Love
At Last
Forever and a Day
Always On My Mind
He’s So Fine (September 30th)
One in a Million (October 28th)

Other reviews Goodreads

10 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Not another series that's ending! But, at 11 going on 12 installments, maybe it's time, especially given your 3.5 star rating of this most recent one. The unnecessary and far fetched aspects of this book make it seem like the author was struggling, hopefully that won't be the case with One in a Million.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are usually pretty good. I hope she closes with a bang with One in a Million.

      Delete
  2. 12 is a good number! I need to read these since I like her Animal Magnetism series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to continue with that series. I have only read two of those books.

      Delete
  3. Can't you believe I've never read or listened to anything by Jill Shalvis? I think I'm gonna give one these books a go...One of this days. You make them sound just like the kind of light contemporaries I enjoy.
    Thanks Marcela :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are light, fun and easy reads. Perfect summer reads.

      Delete
  4. She always has such cute covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try a book by her one day.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...