Contact Me

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Review: The Moment of Everything by Shelly King


Title: The Moment of Everything
Author: Shelly King
Genre: Contemporary, Women’s Fiction
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Maggie Duprès, recently "involuntarily separated from payroll" at a Silicon Valley start-up, is whiling away her days in The Dragonfly's Used Books, a Mountain View institution, waiting for the Next Big Thing to come along.

When the opportunity arises for her to network at a Bay Area book club, she jumps at the chance -- even if it means having to read Lady Chatterley's Lover, a book she hasn't encountered since college, in an evening. But the edition she finds at the bookstore is no Penguin Classics Chatterley -- it's an ancient hardcover with notes in the margins between two besotted lovers of long ago. What Maggie finds in her search for the lovers and their fate, and what she learns about herself in the process, will surprise and move readers.
Maggie Duprès lost her job after the software company she founded with her best friend shipped her work to India. Now, she’s in between jobs and without a clue about what to do with her life. She has some savings, but they are being depleted by the day. Finding a new job in the current economy is not easy and spending her days reading ‘bodice-rippers and cowboy’ romance books at her landlord’s used bookstore doesn’t help with her cause.
After meeting some powerful women at a book club, Maggie knows that to get back in the game she needs to do something to prove to the world she can promote and make a business successful and profitable, and what better place to start with than The Dragonfly, the bookstore where she spends her days away.
The last thing Maggie was expecting was to find more than her calling in her new project.

The only thing I knew when I requested The Moment of Everything was that the story had a cat and a bookstore, which was enough for me to take the plunge. After finishing reading this book I can tell you I couldn’t be happier with my decision, The Moment of Everything is a little gem. A book so special that it felt it was written for me.

Maggie is a character I can easily identify with and to cheer for, I really wanted her to succeed and find what she needed in life, and that, being set in a bookstore was an extra bonus.

The secondary characters made of The Moment of Everything an even more unique and enjoyable book, from Maggie’s landlord and owner of the Dragonfly, Hugo and his TMI conversations, to Maggie’s best friend, Dizzy and his winning personality, to the different patrons of the bookstore; they all add something special to the story and made The Moment of Everything a very rich book.

Shelly King really caught the magic and atmosphere of a used bookstore. Her writing is so vivid and realistic it was so easy to see the shelves and smell the books; her writing made me feel I was in the Dragonfly along Maggie, Hugo and the others.

You never know what you are going to get when you start a new book from a new author (to you); you can only hope you will find something good in it, something that appeals to you, and if you are lucky maybe you will find something unique that will speak to you and maybe, maybe if you are even luckier it will even touch your heart. I’m happy to say I was very, very lucky with The Moment of Everything by Shelly King.

The Moment of Everything is an emotional story about friendship, family issues, finding your calling and maybe even finding love along the way. The Moment of Everything is beautifully written; throughout the pages Shelly King finds the perfect balance of emotional topics and witty humor to keep the readers invested in the story and its characters.

If you love books this is a book I’m sure you will enjoy. The Moment of Everything was my first book by Shelly King, but I’m sure it won’t be my last.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I am not a huge Women's Fiction fan but this sounds like one I would enjoy. I need to see if my library has it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " A book so special that it felt it was written for me." Yup, I feel you, I've come across special bookies like this myself and I cherish them in my heart. Book hug!!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...