Contact Me

Monday, September 8, 2014

Review: Red Blooded by Amanda Carlson


Title: Red Blooded
Author: Amanda Carlson
Series: Jessica McClain, book 4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Orbit (September 9th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Jessica is on her way to Hell. After settling a fragile truce between the vampires, werewolves and witches, the last thing Jessica wants to do is face the demons head on. But when the Prince of Hell kidnapped her brother, he set into motion a chain of events that even Jessica doesn't have the power to stop.

Now, Jessica must go into battle again. But Hell is a whole new beast... new rules, more dangerous demons, and an entirely foreign realm. And when Jessica is dropped into the Underworld too soon, without protection or the help of her friends, she must figure out just how powerful she can be... or she will never make it out alive.
Red Blooded is the fourth book in the Jessica McClain series by Amanda Carlson.

Writing this review has been rather difficult. Jessica McClain has been a series that I loved from the first book, to a point that my sister knew I was really counting the days for this book, hence she reached to her nice, kind and loving sister side of her (after I begged her for days) and let me read it and review it… as I have reviewed previous books in the series.

I warned my family that I was going to be unavailable for the weekend; I wasn't going to let anything interrupt my reading. The ending of the last book was one of those that left you in a book hangover, so I wasn't going to let things like feeding my family come in between Jessica, Rourke, the rest of the "gang" and me.
As we were left, Tyler was kidnaped by the prince of Hell and Jessica is set to rescue him. As expected Jessica makes it to Hell, maybe not in an expected way, but as soon as she is there, well something happened… And all of the sudden the story turned into just action, but at the same time not much else happening. I had to convince myself to keep reading, I mean, I knew (hope) at some point it was going to get to be like previous books in the series, and off course, then I wouldn't want to put the book down.
I was a bit disappointed for the first 60% of the book.  It felt like there wasn’t much happening, but I kept on going thru pages.  I am really torn about how I feel about this book.

Rourke is one of my favorite characters, and in this book he is presented with a supportive spouse type of interaction; don't get me wrong, I still love this character, but there was something... Off.

Jessica is a badass that is still learning, but there were so many parts that it was just a lot of luck and again to many things happening and nothing happening.  I guess it was a way to build what happens towards the end of the book, the problem being you might feel tempted to just put the book down and move to do something else (like feeding your family). If you find yourself in that place... Don't!!! Take a deep breath and keep on going.  By the end of the book it would be worth it.

At the end, you will still love Jessica for being a great sister, friend, pack member, but at the same time, she might come up as too good in some parts... We'll see on the next book how having a kind heart will play for her.

In this book we get a glimpse of some characters like Naomi, that I'm sure will play a bigger role on book #5, we see Ray in his new condition and is a nice transition for his character.
In this installment you won't see much from the pack or any other characters that are not very close to Jessica, but for sure expect plenty of surprises and new information to process. As usual, Mrs. Amanda leaves us with an ending that will have you looking forward next book, Pure Blooded.

I'm giving 3 paws to this book because I wish most of the book would have been like the last 35% of it.  As I said before, I felt it was too much action, too much luck in Jessica’s actions and apart from the last third of the book nothing much happened. Still, I have faith in Mrs. Carlson and will read next book… I just hope it will be less action and more character/story development.

My Verdict: 3 Paws

Other books in the series
Blooded (Prequel novella)
Red Blooded (September 9th)
Pure Blooded (2015)

Other reviews Goodreads


5 comments:

  1. You are kind of saying that which I said in the last book...not good

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my last kick of the can as far as this series is concerned. I was HOPING that Carlson would bounce back, but unfortunately this was just another disappointment. I don't like the new direction the story has taken, and the lack of character development is beyond frustrating. You're right about the last 35% being better than the first 65%, but I HATE the insta-mastering of powers, and Rourke came off as a whiny pussy cat instead of the fierce alpha male he is. I quit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if I was the only one but I see that I'm not. I'm a little sad but we'll see how it will be continued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just said I was probably be getting this when the audio comes out, but now I think I'll wait for next book and see if things get better before I continue.
    Thanks Marcela :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that's too bad when you love so much a series at its beginning and then it mostly lets you down... But I like the way you handle your family when you're reading !

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...