Contact Me

Friday, September 12, 2014

Review: Rock Addiction by Nalini Singh


Title: Rock Addiction
Author: Nalini Singh
Series: Rock Kiss, book 1
Genre: Contemporary Erotic Romance
Publisher: TKA Distribution
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review contains mild spoilers*
A bad boy wrapped in a sexy, muscled, grown-up package might be worth a little risk…

Molly Webster has always followed the rules. After an ugly scandal tore apart her childhood and made her the focus of the media’s harsh spotlight, she vowed to live an ordinary life. No fame. No impropriety. No pain. Then she meets Zachary Fox, a tattooed bad boy rocker with a voice like whiskey and sin, and a touch that could become an addiction.

A one-night stand with the hottest rock star on the planet, that’s all it was meant to be…

Fox promises scorching heat and dangerous pleasure, coaxing Molly to extend their one-night stand into a one-month fling. After that, he’ll be gone forever, his life never again intersecting with her own. Sex and sin and sensual indulgence, all with an expiration date. No ties, no regrets. Too late, Molly realizes it isn’t only her body that’s become addicted to Fox, but her heart…
Rock Addiction is the first book in the new Rock Kiss series by Nalini Singh.

This is going to be one of those hard-to-write-reviews. I really wanted to like this book, it's Nalini Singh after all, but sadly I couldn't. First, this book suffers from serious mislabeling. This was originally labeled and promoted as NA (that’s why I requested it and because it had Nalini Singh’s name attached to it), but it’s no NA! Couple of days ago they changed the label to contemporary romance, but (IMO) it's more erotica than contemporary romance. If I had known that I wouldn’t have read it. 70% of this book or maybe even more are just sex scenes, good sex scenes, but too many in my opinion, so many I ended up skimming the hell out of it.

But that’s not my only problem with this book. My problem is the unbelievable situations at the starting of the story. Let me explain. Heroine, Molly Webster is a twenty-four years old, shy, “virgin” librarian. She meets hero, Zachary Fox at a cocktail party. He is a hot, famous rock star. They don’t talk at the party, but when Molly is leaving Fox jumps in the elevator with her and proposes a one-night stand, and of course, shy, virginal Molly accepts and takes him home. She has been saving herself for twenty-four years for something so special a one-night stand with a man she doesn’t know at all, not even a previous conversation. That’s very believable.
Sadly, that is not the only problem with that setting, to that we need to add that Molly has a magic vagina. Yes, one of those that magically recovers after losing her virginity. First time for Molly and they fuck like bunnies that first night… and of course next day too… and… I wish I had one of those magic vaginas when I lost my V card. The powers of the magic vagina don’t end with insta-healing… it also makes hero to insta-fall-in-love with Molly.

Fox and Molly are damaged because of their pasts, Molly more than Fox and she tries to remind us of that all the time, just in case we forget what we read in previous pages. Thank you Molly.

Clichés and clichés galore.

If you can overlook those “problems” the second half of Rock Addiction is better. It’s not perfect, but better. The relationship between the band mates is fun to watch, they have become a family and it was fun to see them together in good times and in bad times.

Nalini gives us glimpses of what we should expect in next books to come, but if I’m honest, I’m not interested in reading them. Sadly, (I can’t believe I’m saying this about a Nalini Singh’s book) this book didn’t work for me and I don’t think I will read next books.

My Verdict: 2 ½ Stars

Other books in the series
Rock Addiction
Rock Courtship (September 30th)

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. I hate it when a book gets misshelved because you go into it expecting one thing only to get something completely different, and it can be hard to switch gears once you're in a certain mindset. Erotica isn't my shtick, and I have yet to experience Singh's writing for myself, so I don't think this one's for me. Sorry that it turned out not to be for you either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is not the first disappointing review I read :( bummer! I so love Nalini! but sometimes they miss, like Maya Banks, I listened to her historical and LOVED them, but I was totally disappointed with her contemporaries, so I can totally understand and it all about the credibility of the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I wish I had one of those magic vaginas now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks that it was mislabeled. I was kinda looking forward to reading this one, but I need a story with my erotic reads. Man, thats too bad. Ah well, I'll stick with her paranormals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skipped some of your review because I'll start reading it tonight, I've already read disappointed readers's reviews, so... Well, I'll see ! Thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...