Contact Me

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Release Date Review: Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews


Title: Burn for Me
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Hidden Legacy, book 1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Avon
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn’t sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she’s kidnapped by Connor “Mad” Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run or surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan’s after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she’s getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.
Burn for Me is the first book in the Hidden Legacy series by Ilona Andrews.

It’s not a secret that I love the Ilona Andrews duo. I have read every one of their books and have loved them all. To say I was excited about Burn for Me is an understatement, but with that excitement there was also apprehension. Why? Because I couldn’t help but be a bit afraid about not liking it as much as I have liked their other books. I’m happy to say, my doubts were completely unfounded. Burn For Me is made of awesome and it’s another proof of the amazing team the Andrews make.

In the 1800s, scientists discovered a serum that brought out magic talents in some people; those talents varied from pyrokinetic, telekinetic, the ability to control water/air/animals and some others. After seeing the changes in the magic users the serum was destroyed and never use again; but the people that gained magic powers didn’t lose them with time, the new talents became hereditary. To keep the magic between certain groups the magic users married between them, keeping the power between a number of families, creating a caste like system where the Houses (families of magic users) rule.

Private investigator Nevada Baylor loves her job. Her family’s company has a great success rate, all because they only accept cases they know they can be successful at. Since the death of her father, Nevada has been the sole provider for her family. Her father’s death not only broke their hearts, but also their bank account. Without any other option they mortgaged their company and everything the owned to the Montgomery House. They have been paying their debt on time, but the Houses don’t play by the rules and when the Montgomery House needed a scapegoat they called a clause in their mortgage, forcing Nevada to accept a case she knows most probably will cost her her life. She’s supposed to bring in, Adam Pierce, a rogue pyromaniac Prime (strongest magic user) who has been terrorizing the city.
Her investigation attracts the unwanted attention of Connor “Mad” Rogan, a telekinetic Prime known for his unparalleled power and infamous past.
Mad Rogan is also after Adam, but for different reasons than Nevada.
Even though she doesn’t want to work with Mad Rogan, Nevada knows he’s her best bet to survive this case, thus forming a partnership of sorts with him, not without many complications, one of them is the inexplicable attraction they feel for each other, but Nevada is not stupid, she knows he is the last man she should be attracted to, he’s not only “MAD” Rogan, he’s also a Prime. Primes and “regular” people don’t mix, at least not for a long lasting relationship and Nevada is not interested in being his plaything.

Nevada has all the traits I like and admire in a heroine. She’s smart, strong, funny, caring, loving and responsible. She loves her family deeply and seeing her interact with them was a treat. I also loved how she didn’t allow Rogan to push her and always spoke her mind. She’s one of those heroines you root for from beginning to end.

Couple of days ago, after a conversation with my sister, I realized how I like my heroes. I realized I don’t like them perfect, I don’t like them when they are too good. I like them flawed, a little bit bad, a bit misunderstood and I liked them dark and that is exactly what Mad Rogan is. OMG! *fans herself*. He’s sexy, smart, dark, arrogant and all around my perfect kind of hero.

The attraction between Nevada and Rogan is off the charts, but they don’t act upon it, not because Rogan doesn’t want to, but because Nevada is smart. Still, seeing them playing around it was highly entertaining and hot as hell.

The secondary characters made this book even better. Nevada’s family is a riot of hilarity. All of them, her siblings, cousins, mother are great, but Nevada’s grandmother is something else completely, she’s simple awesome!

The world building is very detailed and realistic. The story behind the new society is clear and believable. The plot has many twist and turns that will sure keep you on the edge of your seat. Some things I saw coming, some others were completely unexpected. Burn for Me is perfectly paced and possesses the Andrews’ trademark of smart humor and great one-liners. Burn for Me doesn’t end in a cliffhanger but for sure it will leave you dying to get your hands on the next installment, but for that one we need to wait until next year.

I recommend Burn for Me to urban fantasy and paranormal romance fans.


My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. Just started this on audio this morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm listening too...So far I'm loving it! I'll be back later to compare notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant. Maybe for xmas :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a wonderful time as well. I really loved it and I so can't wait to have more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED it! I totally agree with with you about the heroes, I like them just like that too, they have to have some Jericho Barrons....LOL

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...