Contact Me

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Review: Beneath the Scars by Melanie Moreland


Title: Beneath the Scars
Author: Melanie Moreland
Genre: Fiction, Romance
Publisher: Melanie Moreland
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
The sound of the ocean, the crash of the waves as they kick up against the sand and rocks—these are the only sounds Megan Greene wants to hear. She wants to leave the rest of the world behind, and find some peace.

The offer of a private house on the beach, set in a small town in Maine, is perfect. Time to think—to be by herself. It’s all she wants. It’s the escape she needs.

Until she stumbles across the painting that seems to echo her own chaotic mindset.

Until she meets the unfriendly artist behind the stormy painting and discovers his secrets.

All Zachary Adams wants is to be left alone. His canvases, and the unending scope of the ocean and sand, are his life. They direct him—fill his hours. Bring him focus.

Until she enters his life.

She dredges up memories of the past—the haunting images he has hidden for years; the fears he has never shared.

A story he keeps buried below the surface.

Can she make him see what he is missing? Can he trust her enough to believe?

Together they embark on a journey where their pasts collide and threaten to tear them apart.

Will their fragile bond hold or wash away with the ebbing tide?
There were things I liked about Beneath the Scars and others I didn’t like much. I liked the setting, I like the idea of a modern version of the beauty and the beast story, and I liked how friendships were portrayed. My problems were with the main characters, with the insta-love, and with the conflict in the story; let me explain more.

After a big scandal, that involves her ex-boyfriend, Megan Green left Boston behind and found refuge in the small town of Cliff’s Edge on the coast of Maine. Soon after arriving she is intrigued by her neighbor, Zachary Adams. For over ten years Zachary has been hiding from society, living like a hermit. Until the day Megan comes calling to his door and breaks all his imposed rules… and “of course”, after couple of encounters (a week or so) they fall in love.
Apart from the insta-love my problem with Megan is that it was hard to believe that a woman who just has been scorned by her boyfriend can not only be interested in another man, but also chases after him until he succumbs to her charms. No, no and no!

Now let’s talk about Zachary. The guy is scarred inside and out and instead of looking for help he just hide behind the walls of his house. I felt bad for him, but at the same time he annoyed the hell out of me. He couldn’t believe why a woman like Megan was interested in him. His insecurities, although reasonable, made it impossible for me to believe in their HEA.

And now we have come to the conflict in the story. I knew everything couldn’t be love and happiness, but the conflict was something I hate (in books and in real life) and that is “lack of communication”. Why I hate it? Because it is something easily avoidable, they just need to talk!

Melanie Moreland’s writing is very vivid and brings to life the town of Cliff’s Edge. The secondary characters made of a nice supporting cast in page and in the story. I really liked their friendship and how supporting they were of Megan and Zachary respectively.

Beneath the Scars by Melanie Moreland is a book about redemption, second chances and the power of love. Aside from the things I didn’t like I can honestly say I enjoyed reading Beneath the Scars, so much I was somehow able to overlooked the problems and submerged completely in the story.

Beneath the Scars was my first book by Melanie Moreland, but I’m sure it won’t be my last.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Miscommunication kills me but it does happen in RL so I try to accept in books LOL Doesn't always happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also try to accept it in books, but sometimes it's impossible.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Felicia's comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading and your review- I'm please that overall you enjoyed the story. Love the paws and the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...