Contact Me

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Short Review: The After House by Michael Phillip Cash


Title: The After House
Author: Michael Phillip Cash
Genre: Romance, Mystery
Publisher: Red Feather Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Remy Galway and her daughter Olivia are rebuilding their life after a failed marriage in a 300 year old cottage in historic Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island. Little do they know, another occupant is lurking in the haven of their own home. Will the After House be their shelter or their tomb?
Lately I’m not enjoying reading romance and I’ve been steering more towards suspense, thrillers or books with a creepy or spooky factor. When I saw the eerie cover and read the blurb of The After House by Michael Phillip Cash, I thought I found a perfect book for my mood. Sadly, that was not the case. Even though there is a ghost in the story, The After House is more romantic than scary. Actually, it wasn’t scary at all, not even a touch of suspense or spookiness. There is a mystery, but I knew exactly who was who since the very first moment, so the mystery element was out for me.

There are two main characters, Remy Galway, a recently divorced mother of a young girl, who trying to start her life anew and Eli Gaspar, the ghost of a whaling captain who died in the 1800s.

I couldn’t connect with Remy; her personality is simply one that doesn’t inspire me anything. I was actually a bit bored reading her parts. That didn’t happen with Eli. Thanks to flashbacks we are able to see his life in the 1800s and even spend some days with him whaling. Those parts were very interesting and I learned things I didn’t know about the practice of whaling; but apart from that, the story unfortunately didn’t work for me. I’m blaming the blurb and blaming me. Why? The blurb was misleading and me because I’m not in the mood for romance. The After House was one of those “it’s me, not you” cases. I’m pretty sure people who likes romance will enjoy The After House a lot more than I did.

My Verdict: 3 Paws

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. That cover does not exactly scream romance 0_0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At all! The last thing it says is romance. :(

      Delete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...