Contact Me

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

2014 Audiobook Challenge Wrap-Up Post



Where did 2014 go? OMG! I can’t believe the year is almost over. This was a good year in audiobooks. I listen to some great ones and for the first time I DNF-ed an audiobook... there is always a first time for everything.

Another great thing about this year is that I converted my sister, she’s now also an audiobook lover. YAY! She sent me a great email couple of weeks ago, I liked it so much I have to share it with you:

“My Dear Sister,
Thank you for being so persistent in brainwashing me and making me a zombi.
Now I spend my time pretending that I am paying attention to doing shit when I am actually busy in the audiobook world.
Thank you!
So on that note, I am on the 3rd book of the daughter of bone series, and at the rate I am going and knowing I will spend time at home cleaning I will need more!!! GIVE ME MORE AUDIOBOOKS BEEEYACH! I mean, could you please be so kind and recommend me more of the wonderful books narrated by wonderful people? Please and Thank you!
I freaking clean the stove with the blade just to finish the second book being undisturbed!!!
I NEED MORE!!!!!!
Love you!
Me
Your Zombi Sister”
Since my last update these are the audiobooks I have listened:

Captain’s Fury by Jim Butcher. Narrated by Kate Reading
Princeps’ Fury by Jim Butcher. Narrated by Kate Reading
First Lord’s Fury by Jim Butcher. Narrated by Kate Reading
Written in Red by Anne Bishop. Narrated By Alexandra Harris
Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop. Narrated By Alexandra Harris
Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan. Narrated By Tim Gerard Reynolds
Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan. Narrated By Tim Gerard Reynolds
Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan. Narrated By Tim Gerard Reynolds
The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan. Narrated By Tim Gerard Reynolds
Cast in Flame by Michelle Sagara. Narrated By Khristine Hvam
Archetype by M.D. Waters. Narrated By Khristine Hvam
Prototype by M.D. Waters. Narrated By Khristine Hvam
Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. Narrated By Grace Grant, Deacon Lee
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Narrated By James Clamp
King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Narrated By James Clamp
Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Narrated By James Clamp
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Narrated By Kate Rudd
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Narrated By Julia Whelan, Kirby Heyborne
First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King
Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King
Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King
Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King
Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King 
Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones. Narrated By Lorelei King
Steel’s Edge by Ilona Andrews. Narrated By Renée Raudman
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (DNF). Narrated By Kate Mulgrew

One thing I discover this year was that I really enjoy listening to audiobooks of books I already read. I discover little nuances that I missed while reading them; maybe I read them too fast because I was too excited about them or maybe the narrator brought something else to the story, I don’t know… I only know I love listening to them. Those books are the ones by Anne Bishop, Michael J. Sullivan, and Darynda Jones.

My goal was “My Precious” and I’m happy to say I nailed it!! I listened to 44 audiobooks and I’m planning to listen to at least two more audiobooks before the year is over.


Levels:
  • Newbie (I’ll give it a try) 1-5 
  • Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) 5-10
  • Stenographer (can listen while multi-tasking) 10-15
  • Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) 15-20
  • Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) 20-30
  • My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) 30+

Last but not least, I want to thank Lupe from Hot Listens and Jennifer from The Book Nympho for hosting this challenge. You should visit their blogs, they have a wonderful giveaway to celebrate the end of the year. A winner will get a 3 months Membership to audible.com or a $25.00 Giftcard.


14 comments:

  1. High 5 :) I feel we need more audiobook zombies :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Now even my nephew is listening to audiobooks. :)

      Delete
  2. Great job friend! I knew you were the one that recommended Theft of Swords! I really enjoyed it and I have the following books to do this coming year. I have Archetype on my list :)
    Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good and they are narrated by the amazing Khristine Hvam. Win-win!

      Delete
  3. Great job! I'm just starting The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I'm not familiar with this series that you listened to. I'm a huge Charley Davidson fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fantasy and they are great. I listened one behind the other.

      Delete
  4. Oh damn that was the most hilarious letter. I love your sister. Tell her to totally listen to NICE DRAGONS FINISH LAST.

    Hey thats a good way to get more reading time "Leave me alone heathens I'm cleaning!" then clean extra slow with a toothbrush the whole shower floor as to have more listening time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I'm planning to listen to Nice Dragons Finish Last as soon as I finish with the audiobook I'm listening right now.
      Yes, that's the same excuse I use... Sorry, busy here cleaning these sparkling cabinets. :)

      Delete
  5. It's great you got your sister hooked on this too. Her email was so funny. And congratulations on all the audiobooks you listened to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy she's listening to audios now.

      Delete
  6. I recently started getting audio books and so far all of the ones I have listened to are ones I read first. I really enjoy those. I have three that I haven't read yet but so far I haven't touched them. I probably need to :) Glad you met your goal, and your sister is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also enjoying a lot audios of books I already read. My plan for next year is to listen to the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on nailing the 'My Precious' level this year!! I made the 'My Precious' level too in the 2014 Audiobook Challenge. I never thought I'd reach it, but was amazed to reach 48 listens for the year.

    I also listened to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green this year too. I cried like a baby in certain scenes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cried like a baby too. On the beginning DH didn't know what was happening to me, why I was crying. When I told him it was because of the audio he look at me like o_O

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...