Contact Me

Friday, December 5, 2014

Review: Deadly Obsession by Maggie Shayne


Title: Deadly Obsession
Author: Maggie Shayne
Series: Brown and de Luca, book 4
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: MIRA Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
A cold-blooded killer with a burning obsession…

Rachel de Luca has a bad feeling about the new woman in Detective Mason Brown's life, the nurse taking care of him after he's injured in the line of duty. She'd like to think it's just jealousy, but intuition tells her it's something more, maybe something dangerous.

Mason knows Rachel's wary of commitment, and asking her to stay when he's in this condition would be the worst thing for their relationship. Then they receive chilling news that drives everything else from their minds.

Mason's psychotic sister-in-law has escaped from custody, putting her sons — the nephews he's raising — in the crosshairs. When his house is burned to the ground, he and Rachel are relieved that there are no bodies in the smoldering rubble, but now his nephews are missing and the clock is ticking.

As Mason and Rachel try to find the boys, she senses a new and unexpected danger stalking them. Soon, everyone close to Mason is in deadly peril — Rachel more than anyone….
Deadly Obsession is the fourth book in the Brown and de Luca series by Maggie Shayne.

In this installment Rachel is not only dealing with helping Mason with an investigation, she is also coming to terms with her feelings for Mason and his nephews.
Rachel has a come a long way since first book. Recovering her sight has been a blessing to which she’s slowly getting used to. One of the things I like about this series is seeing things for the first time through Rachel’s eyes because she makes me appreciate simple things I usually take for granted.

In Deadly Obsession, Rachel realizes she’s not only in love with Mason, but also with his nephews. They now belong to her too and she will do anything in her power to keep them safe.

Mason knows what he wants and that is Rachel. He knows he can’t rush her, so he patiently waits until she acknowledges and accepts what they have together; a romance that developed slowly throughout the books and had the perfect climax in this installment. 

Not everything is easy for them; apart from the emotional issues they are dealing with, they are also dealing with two crazy women. One is Mason’s sister in law and the other one is a woman who has fixation on Mason and thinks he’s her soul mate.

I don’t want to give spoilers away and the blurb already explains perfectly well what Deadly Obsession is all about, so I won’t say more about what happens in this book. You will have to read it to know more.

Apart from Rachel and Mason there are others characters that deserve mention. Why? Because they made even more special this book/series; they are Rachel’s dog Myrtle and her fashion statements, Rachel’s assistant, Amy, and her capable hands, Mason’s nephews Josh and Jeremy and their unconditional love and Rachel’s sister and her family always there to support Rachel in all her endeavors.

I have enjoyed every single one of the Brown and de Luca books, for that reason I have mixed feelings about this series coming to an end. I’m happy it ends on a high note and with an excellent book like this one, in which Maggie Shayne ties up all the loose ends perfectly; but at the same time I feel I’m not yet ready to say goodbye to Rachel, Mason, Myrtle and the rest of the cast. Each book has been an adventure and Deadly Obsession was not an exception. Maggie Shayne knows how to perfectly balance suspense, mystery and romance and she does it in a way that keeps you glued to the pages wanting to know what is coming next.

If you like romantic suspense Deadly Obsession is a book you need to read. Although it could be read as a stand alone I recommend you reading the Brown and de Luca series in order, starting with first book, Sleep With the Lights On, and going on from there. You need to do that to get the full effect of the story arc of this wonderful series. Trust me, all the books in this series are great and worth reading.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Dream of Danger (Novella)
Deadly Obsession

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. I read one of this author's Paranormal Romances, and it was a little too hippy dippy for me, so I never gave her a second chance. Now, I'm thinking that that might have just been a once off, or my mood at the time was to blame because this story sounds wonderful.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! This is already on my Christmas list. I love her thrillers. She is so good at ratcheting up the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy women, damn they make things hairy and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deadly Obsession sounds like a really good book. Think I'll check out the series and maybe get them or the first one this weekend for when I've finished my most recent TBR pile!
    Great review btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this whole series as well(and reviewed them) and I loved the whole thing. I was really sorry that the series has ended. I got so invested in the characters and really Myrt the dog? Well Myrt was my favorite character!I was always scared that Myrt would get killed. So glad that didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...