Contact Me

Friday, December 19, 2014

Review: Revenant by Larissa Ione


Title: Revenant
Author: Larissa Ione
Series: Lords of Deliverance, book 6
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
HELL HATH NO FURY . . .

For five thousand years, Revenant believed he was alone in the world, a fallen angel beyond any redemption. Now he finds he has a twin brother who had all the light and love Revenant was denied. Caught in a tug of war between Heaven and Hell, he must weigh his thirst for revenge against his desire for a mysterious female named Blaspheme—a female whose very origins could deliver him into salvation… or destruction.

LIKE AN ANGEL SCORNED

Blaspheme has a deadly secret: she's the forbidden offspring of an angel and a fallen angel. Hunted by both heavenly and satanic forces, she has survived only by laying low and trusting no one. When Revenant claims he can save them both, how can she possibly believe him? But the powerful angel is persistence incarnate and for Blaspheme, there's no place she can hide in Heaven or Hell where he won't find her…
Revenant is the sixth and final book in the Lords of Deliverance series by Larissa Ione.

I was very excited when I received my ARC of Revenant and I started reading it right away, sadly that was the moment I realized I was in a PNR reading slump. After just few chapters I had to put Revenant aside, a tragedy! For the last couple of days I’ve been at home sick, so yesterday I decided to give Revenant another chance. I guess I only needed to be sick and in bed to need Revenant to warm me up and make me feel better because that’s exactly what happened. Since the moment I started it I couldn’t put it down and the best part is that I enjoyed reading it. Take that reading slump!

Revenant starts days after the events in Reaver (fifth book in the series). Revenant just learned he’s not a fallen angel, but an angel. He also learned he has a twin brother and that they were separated at birth. While Revenant was raised in Hell by Satan, his twin brother was raised in Heaven. Revenant doesn’t understand why he got the short end of the stick and why he had to live 5000 years of tortures and abuse while a loving and caring angelical family raised his brother.
Now that Revenant knows he’s an angel and not a fallen, Satan doesn’t trust him; for that reason he gives him some tasks to prove his commitment to Hell and to him. One of those tasks is to take care of Gethel who is pregnant with Lucifer and the other is to kill an angel.
Revenant is teetering on the edge between Good and Evil. He needs to decide which side to follow soon. The only problem is he is so confused with all he has learned these last couple of weeks he doesn’t know what to do or what to believe. To complicate matters he can’t stop thinking about Blaspheme.
Blaspheme knows the last thing she should do is feel attracted to Revenant, she knows she shouldn’t trust him, especially with her secret, but there is something about him that she just can’t resist.

I really liked Revenant; I liked how even though he has done evil things for thousands of years he still has a conscience. He even saved some kitties and in my dictionary if you save kitties you are a swoon worthy hero.
Revenant is the epitome of a tortured hero; my heart really ached for him. I can’t imagine how it must be to know he had to live and experience all the atrocities he did while his brother had a loving upbringing. That must be really perplexing, infuriating and very difficult to assimilate.

I liked Blaspheme, but wasn’t crazy about her. I think my problem was her secret. I know that everything she ever knew was to keep quiet, but I wish she had done a leap of faith and trust Revenant.

Revenant and Blaspheme worked really well together because they both didn’t know who they were; they were trying to decide whom to be and together they were able to find that. The chemistry between them was off the charts. When they are together the pages sizzle and in the best Larissa Ione’s style the sex scenes are original and hot as hell.

As this is the last installment in the Lords of Deliverance series we get to see characters from previous books and from the Demonica series. It was nice to see them all come together for the same cause. We are left with hope of a happy future where all can coexist. We are also left wanting to know more about the new additions to their families. Luckily for us Larissa Ione is planning to write a spin-off series based on the descendants of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and of the Sem brothers.

In Revenant Ione ties all the lose ends and finishes the ARC flawlessly. One thing I really liked was that there was not unnecessary drama or complications. Things were straightforward but they worked perfectly. The end wasn’t all pink and roses, but it suited Revenant thoroughly.
Revenant has the perfect amount of intrigues, subterfuges, action, and romance to keep you glued to the pages. With Revenant Larissa Ione shows us once again why she is considered one of the best PNR authors in the market.

Revenant is a great conclusion to a great series and one I recommend, but I don’t recommend reading it as a standalone. You need to read these books in order to understand all the underlying currents that made of the Lords of Deliverance series a favorite for paranormal romance fans.

My Verdict: 4 Paws

Other books in the series
Eternal Rider
Revenant

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Next up on my listen list :) :) I am sad this is the last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you succeeded in your last minute mission to read / review this one. Nothing beats blogging under a deadline. ;) I didn't realize that this was the final installment. That makes me happy because as much as I love Ione's writing, I just can't commit to another long running series at the moment.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need some catching up to do! BUT It's great that this is the last book, less pressure in that plus having two extra books are a bonus in itself as there are only 4 seals. Also great to know that LoD ended on a high note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book too. I listened to the audio. I, like you, wasn't as big of a fan of Blaspheme. While I didn't hate her, she was no where near my favorite heroine of the series. Revenant, on the other hand, was one of my favorite heroes. Glad you were able to come out of your PNR slump for this great series. Sorry you weren't feeling well. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, but the woman troubles me

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those series that I want to read someday. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...