Contact Me

Monday, January 26, 2015

Non-Review: Burned by Karen Marie Moning


Title: Burned
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Series: Fever, book 7
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: E-book
It’s easy to walk away from lies. Power is another thing.

MacKayla Lane would do anything to save the home she loves. A gifted sidhe-seer, she’s already fought and defeated the deadly Sinsar Dubh—an ancient book of terrible evil—yet its hold on her has never been stronger.When the wall that protected humans from the seductive, insatiable Fae was destroyed on Halloween, long-imprisoned immortals ravaged the planet. Now Dublin is a war zone with factions battling for control. As the city heats up and the ice left by the Hoar Frost King melts, tempers flare, passions run red-hot, and dangerous lines get crossed. Seelie and Unseelie vie for power against nine ancient immortals who have governed Dublin for millennia; a rival band of sidhe-seers invades the city, determined to claim it for their own; Mac’s former protégé and best friend, Dani “Mega” O’Malley, is now her fierce enemy; and even more urgent, Highland druid Christian MacKeltar has been captured by the Crimson Hag and is being driven deeper into Unseelie madness with each passing day. The only one Mac can depend on is the powerful, dangerous immortal Jericho Barrons, but even their fiery bond is tested by betrayal.

It’s a world where staying alive is a constant struggle, the line between good and evil gets blurred, and every alliance comes at a price. In an epic battle against dark forces, Mac must decide who she can trust, and what her survival is ultimately worth.
This is not a proper review, this is just my opinion about Burned and how I felt after I finished reading it.

Burned is the seventh book in the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and it’s also the last book I’ll read in this series. Why? Because I’m very saddened to say Karen Marie Moning lost my respect towards her as an author. I know those are harsh words, but bear with me while I explain why I'm saying this.

One of the things I can’t forgive an author is not to be honest with herself/himself. I hate when authors kill characters to just bring them back in next books when they realize the readers didn’t like the new direction the series was taking (yes, Chloe Neill, I’m talking about you). Or when an author changes her/his original idea of a series just because her/his original idea wasn’t as commercial and well received as she/he was expecting to be, and sadly that is exactly what happened with Karen Marie Moning and Burned.

I’m one of those readers who didn’t like Iced. I didn’t like the child abuse to which Dani was submitted by Ryodan, I didn’t like her, a child, lusting after an adult and I didn’t like the implication of a relationship of a man thousand of years old with a fourteen year old girl. I know nothing happened between them, but just knowing that something was going to happen between them rubbed me wrong way and I know I wasn’t the only one that felt that way.

I’m pretty sure Moning received many messages with people complaining about this “pedophilic” relationship and instead of owning her ideas, her words and her work she turn her back on herself and went back to the safe formula that made her millions (Mac + Barrons = $$) and forgot entirely about Dani and her plans for her.

What happened to the Dani O’Malley series to which Iced was first book and Burned was supposed to be second book? What happened to Dani, the sparkling girl we met and loved in the Fever series (and even in Iced)? Let me tell you what happened to her in Burned, She didn’t work as well as a heroine (in Iced) as Karen Marie Moning was expecting her to work, so now she is gone! The Dani we loved and who was supposed to be the heroine of her own series sadly only survived one book, Iced. The Dani of Burned is not only no longer a main character, but she is also a completely different person. Her changes were so drastic and so very convenient that they are a lack of respect to the readers. Young, smart, funny, hopeful Dani was edited, reinvented and destroyed.

Even though I didn’t like Iced I applauded Moning for taking a risk and going where other authors were afraid of going. Unfortunately her bravery only lasted 495 pages, the page length of Iced.

Finishing Burned left me with a bad taste in my mouth and with a great feeling of disappointment. I loved the Fever series (first five books) and I hate feeling like I’m feeling right now. I feel like the Fever series were cheapened with this book, like if it now has a stain on it.

I know some people loved Burned and I’m happy for them, I really wished I was one of them, but sadly I’m not. I have come to my last stop, here I’m disembarking the Fever series train and if I ever look back I will only look back to first five books and will pretend the sixth and seventh books were never written.

My Verdict: 2 Paws
Other books in the series
Darkfever
Bloodfever
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever
Iced
Burned
Feverborn (October 20th 2015)
Feversong (2016)

Other reviews Goodreads


10 comments:

  1. Ditto! I finished this book on Wednesday, and I am STILL PISSED! I can't get over what she did to Dani, and how KMM kowtowed to her bottom line instead of writing the story she wanted to. I'm not ready to give-up on this series yet, however if the next novel is more of the same, I'm out.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy Marcela! It was that bad for you? I read some reviews and it really makes me wonder if I listened to a different book. I never found any character assassination, if I did, I would totally have felt the same way you did. I could say that the audio made a difference. A great narrator can make OK book great, but that didn't save it for Carmel. I Love being back, and I really enjoy the story, and of course I LOVE the narration. Sorry to hear this is the end for you :( I Loved Iced, so my enjoyment of this book had nothing to with hating Dani or not liking the direction of the story. I just love her world, and until now the narrators have giving me a great experience every time. I'm sorry this didn't work for you, I thought you had decided not to continue after it didn't grab you right away. I totally understand disappointment...It sucks! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Iced but had the same problem as you with Burned! I am so glad to see that it isn't just from my "I love Dani" POV. I had tons of problems. I will give the next one a whirl to see but it will be my last if it is more like this.

    PS I gave it a 2 also---I am so glad to see I am not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I FEEL you. Where did the fun, sparkly Dani go? Total new stranger now. Bummed. So bummed.

    (I agree with the Neill!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand where you're coming from and part of me echoes some of the things you said. My #1 observation with Burned is how it's inconsistent with the previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you finally did read it Marcela. I'm so sorry that it wasn't for you, that it was so disappointed, it's really sad when it's like that. I haven't read this one neither Iced. Maybe one day but for now I confess that I'm really not sure, I'm happy the way I finished the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept thinking that someday I would read Iced, but now I am thinking I'll leave well enough alone and be finished.with the series as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kept thinking that someday I would read Iced, but now I am thinking I'll leave well enough alone and be finished.with the series as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...