Contact Me

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Audiobook Review: Bound by Flames by Jeaniene Frost


Title: Bound by Flames
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Narrated by: Tavia Gilbert
Series: Night Prince, book 3
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harper Audio
Format: Audiobook
Length: 8 hrs and 4 mins
Play with fire, pay the price.

Leila’s years on the carnie circuit were certainly an education. What she didn’t learn: how to be a vampire, or how to be married to the most famous vampire of them all. Adjusting to both has Leila teetering on a knife edge between passion and peril, and now the real danger is about to begin…

Vlad must battle with a centuries-old enemy whose reach stretches across continents and whose strength equals his own. It isn’t like Vlad to feel fear, but he does…for Leila, because his enemy knows she is Vlad’s greatest weakness. As friend and foe alike align against him—and his overprotectiveness drives Leila away—Vlad’s love for his new bride could be the very thing that dooms them both…
Bound by Flames is the third book in the Night Prince series by Jeaniene Frost.

If you know me you know that I’m going through a PNR reading slump. For that reason I kept postponing reading this book, but after reading so many great reviews I decided to give it a chance… but I did something different from what I did with previous books in this series; this time around I listened to the audiobook. I thought a good narration could help me stay interested in the story and I was right. Tavia Gilbert did an awesome job with Bound by Flames; she brought to life the different characters with its respective accents and different characteristics that make them unique.
Another thing I’m not enjoying much lately are sex scenes, but they are easily avoidable. In this case, I listened to some scenes at 2X speed and in others I fast-forwarded them at 15 seconds intervals until the smexy was done and over.

About the story, I liked where Vlad and Leila are. I liked that Leila has become stronger and a better partner for Vlad. My only complain about Leila was her excessive inner dialogue. The first times it was ok, but after a while it became annoying. She reminded me of Anastasia Steele and her inner goddess and that wasn’t good at all.
We also see some changes in Vlad. His love for Leila has made him somewhat softer, that doesn’t mean he not vicious when he needs to.

Another thing I liked about Bound by Flames was the cameos from Kat, Bones, Mencheres and Marie Laveau. I also liked the storyline regarding Maximus. My heart broke for him and for everything he has endured and will have to endure in the future.

Before Bound by Flames was released I thought it was the final book and conclusion to Vlad’s story, but it wasn’t. Originally this series was a two book deal, then three and now… I don’t know. There was a twist at the end of the book that extended the story. I’m not sure if we will get one or two more books, I just hope Leila is not kidnap again in future books, because it is already one time too many she has been kidnapped.

I’m happy I listened to this book instead of reading it and I’m planning to do the same with next book in this series (hopefully final book).
This was my first time listening to an audiobook narrated by Tavia Gilbert and I can only say good things about her performance. I’m looking forward to listen to more books narrated by her.

My Book Verdict: 3 ½ Paws
 
My Narrator Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
My Overall Verdict: 4 Paws
Other books in the series
Once Burned
Twice Tempted
Bound by Flames

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book on audio too (my review will be post soon). From what I understand, there will be only one more book. This was originally meant to be a trilogy, but while writing this book, Frost realized that she couldn't finish the story in this book, so decided to add another.

    I really felt for Maximum as well. I loved seeing the softer side of Vlad and the cameos. Can't wait for the next book. I just love this world that Frost has built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it! I will catch up, I will catch up (I still need to listen to book 2). That will happen next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Night huntress is on sale & I'm so tempted to pick it up! This is a spin-off right?

    It's great that your interest for the series is revived thanks to the audiobook :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm posting Melanie's review now. She really enjoyed it, sadly I quit after the first book, I LOVE the narrator but the count chocolate accent for Vlad didn't work for me at all, same as the accent for Bones, so I quit that series too. I have Loved everything else she narrates. I'm in minority though when it comes to that, I'm glad people enjoy them. She's excellent. I've loved just about everything else she does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read and loved the first book, for since I never read the last book of Night Huntress, I skipped the second book b/c I was afraid of spoilers. At least I think that's why, LOL. Regardless, I never read it, and now that it's been announced that the next book is going to be the last, I think I'll just wait. B/c this one does sound kind of rough . . .

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...