Contact Me

Monday, February 2, 2015

Early Review: Edge Blade by J.C. Daniels


Title: Edge Blade
Author: J.C. Daniels
Series: Colbana Files, book 4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Shiloh Walker Inc
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
*Warning: This review contains spoilers from previous books*
In the year since her life was torn apart, Kit Colbana has slowly rebuilt herself. There’s a promise of hope in the relationship with the alpha of the local shapeshifters and she no longer comes screaming into wakefulness. Life’s not perfect but then again, when was it ever?

When her best friend Justin comes to her for help, there’s little question as to what her answer will be. Witches are disappearing and Justin won’t rest until he has answers. Soon, they learn that it’s not just witches who’ve gone missing, but vampires and shifters, too.

Unlikely alliances are forged as Kit and Justin found themselves drawn into a twisted web of lies and betrayal. As the clock counts down and the culprit behind recent disappearances is revealed, those Kit loves the most become the target of somebody who will kill to protect an ugly secret.
Edged Blade is the fourth book in the Colbana Files series by J.C. Daniels (Shiloh Walker).

A year has passed since Kit’s attack. She is recovering slowly and everyday she’s getting better. Still, there are certain triggers she hasn’t been able to overcome, like being surrounded by vampires.
In this installment Kit’s best friend, Justin, comes to her for help. Witches are disappearing and Justin is suspecting things are more complicated than they appear. Into their investigation they realized that vampires and shapeshifters have also disappeared. They also realized they need the help of the vampires and the shapeshifters to solve the case, something easier said than done.
The last thing Kit wants is to work with the vampires, especially when one (Abraham Allerton) is assigned to work with them; but Kit also knows working along with the vampire is the only way to find and free the missing. It helps that Abraham is conscious of Kit’s struggle and tries to be as an unobtrusive as possible. Surprisingly, despite Kit’s misgivings, in Abraham she finds a kindred spirit.

Kit has come a long way after her attack; she’s getting better, but still has a way to go. She’s slowly putting herself together and finding the confidence she lost. We also see a lot of improvement in her relationship with Damon. They are back to spending time together, something that is good for both of them.

Damon is slowly forgiving himself for not saving Kit on time and for the circumstances that led to her kidnaping; spending time with her is helping him with this. He is also trying to control his jealousy towards Justin. He knows Kit and Justin work together as partners, but he also know there is history between them and is clear that Justin still has feelings for Kit. It doesn’t help that Justin knows how to push Damon’s buttons and does it every time he can.

In Edge Blade we learn more about Justin’s and Kit’s past. We also learn more about the “big bad”. 

Edge Blade feels a little bit like a bridge book, but with a substantial plot. J.C. Daniels further develops the world and introduces to new and important characters. The end was a cliffhanger of sorts. Not an OMG!-What’s-going-on-I-need-next-book-now cliffhanger, but more like What?-It-ended-there? Kind of cliffhanger.

Edge Blade is a nice addition to an amazing series and one I recommend to fans of this series and to urban fantasy fans. Although each book has its own story, I don’t recommend reading these books as stand alones. There is a main ARC storyline that it has been slowly developed throughout the books, for that reason I recommend you to read these books in order to get the full effect of the world J.C. Daniels created for this series.

The Colbana Files series is one of the most underrated urban fantasy series on the market; it’s also a series all urban fantasy fans should read.

My Verdict: 4 paws
Other books in the series
Edge Blade

Other reviews Goodreads

12 comments:

  1. I agree with your that this book does have a bit of a feel of a "bridge" to it, but it still had a great storyline to it, which many bridge books I find lacking. I love this series and wish that Ms. Daniels had more time to devote to this series so we could have more books. I just love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, this was a "bridge" book but with a solid plot. I also want more books! :)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't even heard of this series until Melanie posted a review for this one on the blog a couple of weeks ago. I clearly need to be reading this because Urban Fantasy is kinda my thing. I'm not thrilled that this is a bridge installment, but there's always at least one, so I can't exactly hold that against Daniels.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bridge book, but still it was pretty good.
      You HAVE to read this series, I'm sure you are going to love it.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of this series until Melanie reviewed one. The more I hear about it, the more I probably need to try one! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, you need to try one and then you will need the next one and the next one; luckily there are four books out. ;)

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this series until Melanie reviewed one. The more I hear about it, the more I probably need to try one! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yass! I'm almost done with my current series binge, I think I'll take this on next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to read this. Soon. Very soon. The problem is that I also have to read the one before it! GAH! But I'm really going to, b/c I love this series. *pinky promises*

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...