Contact Me

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Early Review: Soulbound by Kristen Callihan


Title: Soulbound
Author: Kristen Callihan
Series: Darkest London, book 6
Genre: Paranormal historical romance, Steampunk
Publisher: Forever (February 24th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Once two souls are joined...

When Adam's soul mate rejected him, there was more at stake than his heart. After seven hundred years of searching, his true match would have ended the curse that keeps his spirit in chains. But beautiful, stubborn Eliza May fled—and now Adam is doomed to an eternity of anguish, his only hope for salvation gone...

Their hearts will beat together forever...

No matter how devilishly irresistible Adam was, Eliza couldn't stand the thought of relinquishing her freedom forever. So she escaped. But she soon discovers she is being hunted—by someone far more dangerous. The only man who can help is the one man she vowed never to see again. Now Adam's kindness is an unexpected refuge, and Eliza finds that some vows are made to be broken...
Soulbound is the sixth book in the Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan.

Soulbound starts couple of months after the events in Evernight (fifth book). Eliza is living with her aunt Mab and her Fae court; but what on the beginning was a shinning and exhilarating life, it soon has become crude and cruel. So much, Eliza is wondering what Mab is hiding. Some days she even wonders if being slaved to Adam was better and safer than living with Mab. Things only get worse when she discovers Adam chained and tortured in Mab’s dungeon.
When somebody from her past comes to taunt her, Eliza knows the only person she can trust is Adam and together they escape Mab and her machinations. What they didn’t know was that Mab was not their strongest enemy. To survive this new threat they will have to open their hearts and be honest with each other.

I liked Eliza but sometimes I wished she was more honest about her feelings. She tried to distance herself from Adam by closing up, but what that accomplished was to distance herself from the reader/story as well, making her feel cold and remote. Not something I like in my heroines. She was a lot better when she was able to open her heart, but it was a bit too late for me.

Adam! OMG Adam! It never crossed my mind that he will be the epitome of a tortured hero, but he was. Seeing everything he has live through and for so long was heartbreaking and inspiring. I loved that despite of his hardships he was still able to care and in a way love his GIMs (Ghosts in the Machine).
I also liked that he was willing to do anything to gain Eliza’s love and to protect her at all cost.

Although I liked and enjoyed the story I felt it dragged at times, especially in the middle.
Something else I liked about Soulbound was seeing characters we love from previous books.

In the best Callihan’s style in Soulbound we are introduced to the hero and heroine for next book. There is not a title yet, we only know it will be Layla Starling and St. John “Sin” Evernight story.

I have to be honest, being on a PNR reading slump I was a bit afraid of reading this book, but that was my mistake, not trusting how awesome Kristen Callihan’s books are. I recommend Soulbound to fans of the series and to anyone who likes paranormal historical romance. While this book can be read as a stand alone I recommend you to read previous books first to understand where these characters are coming from. Also, all the books in this series are great and more than worth reading.

My Verdict: 4 Paws
Other books in the series
Ember (Novella-prequel)
Entwined (Novella)
Soulbound (February 24th, 2015)

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I have only read one book in this series but so far it is the only steampunk like series that I have liked. Eventually I will catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is yet another series that I badly need to start. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm behind on this!! Oh boy! number six already, I wonder if I'll be able to catch up...So many books!!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...