Contact Me

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Review: Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs


Title: Dead Heat
Author: Patricia Briggs
Series: Alpha & Omega, book 4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Ace
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
The Alpha and Omega novels transport readers into the realm of the werewolf, where Charles Cornick and Anna Latham embody opposite sides of the shifter personality. Now, a pleasure trip drops the couple into the middle of some bad supernatural business…

For once, mated werewolves Charles and Anna are not traveling because of Charles’s role as his father’s enforcer. This time, their trip to Arizona is purely personal, as Charles plans to buy Anna a horse for her birthday. Or at least it starts out that way...

Charles and Anna soon discover that a dangerous Fae being is on the loose, replacing human children with simulacrums. The Fae’s cold war with humanity is about to heat up—and Charles and Anna are in the cross fire.
Dead Heat is the fourth book in the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs.

Anna and Charles travel to Arizona. Their trip originally had two reasons behind it; one, to look for a new horse for Anna and secondly, for Charles to visit his old friend, Joseph. But Arizona had many surprises in store for them; one of them was Joseph’s health issues and another was an attack on somebody connected to the Arizona Pack by a Fae.

I liked that Anna and Charles don’t play games, they are honest with each other and after everything they have been through they value and appreciate what it means to have the other in his/her life. They couldn’t be more perfect together.

Joseph brought a new light into the story; in his interaction with Charles we learn what it means for a supernatural being to be close to a human person. We also see the painful reality of life and with that we learn a lot more about Charles and his past.

The mystery behind the Fae attacks is really well done. It’s a bit tough to read because the victims are children but Briggs balances perfectly the bad and disturbing of the Fae attacks with the good and sweet that is Anne and Charles as a couple.

There were so many things I love about this book. I loved Anna and Charles, I loved the secondary characters and I loved the story… Ok… I love everything about it.  So much, I think I like this series more than the Mercy Thompson series… I know… I’m also surprised by this revelation.

I recommend Dead Heat to fans of Alpha & Omega and Mercy Thompson series. I also recommend it to urban fantasy fans. I don’t recommend reading Dead Heat as a stand alone, but as a part of the series. Trust me, these books are made of awesome. Read them in order, starting with the prequel novella, On the Prowl, and go from there. I guarantee you you won’t be disappointed.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
Other books in the series
On the Prowl
Cry Wolf
Hunting Ground
Fair Game
Dead Heat


Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Can you believe I haven't started it this one yet? I will soon tho. I know how much I love visiting the gang :) I have not doubts this is another great entry to the series, but I'm glad you still manage to enjoy it despite you OD on paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tries to grab the book* waaaaant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they are made of pure awesome! I only wish there was more Bran in this book. The kid that was possessed, for some reason that gave me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading this one, as I love Anna and Charles! This series just keeps getting better and better!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...