Contact Me

Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop


Title: Vision in Silver
Author: Anne Bishop
Series: The Others, book 3
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
The Others freed the cassandra sangue to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…
Vision in Silver is the third book in The Others series by Anne Bishop.

There are books I like, there are books I love and there is The Others series. Saying I love these books is an understatement. The Others series belong to its own category in the books that will always have a special place close to my heart. For this reason every time a new book comes out I have a private celebration, but with that also comes great expectations, expectations that not only have been met, but surpassed… that was the case with previous books and that was the case with Vision in Silver.  I loved this book so much I want to have its little Vision in Silver babies. I’m not kidding you; I imagine them running around with its little brothers Written in Red and Murder of Crows and my life feels complete. No, I’m not crazy much, I just love this series so freaking much.

In Vision in Silver we learn more about the difficulties Meg and the other cassandra sangre are experiencing since they left the compounds. All the new stimuli are causing them serious problems and it comes to rest on Meg’s lap the responsibility of helping them. Slowly and with the assistance of Meg’s friends (her human pack) they start to compile information to make their lives easier while dealing with the addiction to cutting. But the cassandra sangre are not the only ones having problems. The Humans First and Last (HFL) movement is gaining ground and the conflicts between the Others and humans have been increasing with the dire consequence that any person affiliated or friendly to the Others is been labeled as a Wolf Lover and therefore is being outcasted by their families and society. The Others at seeing this are opening their doors to their sympathizers, increasing the interactions between humans and the terra indigene.
We also learned more about the Others who live outside of the Courtyards, including the Earth Natives, who are not only frightening but also very powerful and who (I think) will be key players in the fight against HFL.

In this installment Meg is dealing with new problems and the realities of a cassandra sangre; while at the same time she is adapting to her new life in the Courtyard. Everyday that passes the Others accept her more and more and slowly she is becoming an important part in their community. Also due to her interactions with Simon and the other wolves she has adopted some of their mannerisms. That was something really cute to watch (read).
I really love that Meg hasn’t changed much since we first met her in Written in Red, she hasn’t become a kick ass heroine or anything like that; She is who she is, but with her innocence and purity of heart she still has the power to help and protect those she cares about.

Simon! Oh my dear Simon! I shouldn’t like Simon because there is nothing human about him, but in a way that is exactly why I like him; he is honest to fault and doesn’t have secret agendas. With him what you see is what you get; that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a good heart because he does, he loves and cares deeply and will do anything to protect those he cares about.
I loved how close he has gotten to Meg and how he has open his heart - and the Courtyard’s doors - to the humans who deserve his respect.

There is no romance in this book, but there is something much more special, there is the blossoming of a relationship between two very different people who make themselves better just by being together. Simon and Meg are so beautiful and perfect together that they give me warm fuzzy feelings with just their simplest touches. There was a scene in which them holding hands felt more emotional than many sexual scenes I have read.

The world building in its exceptionality is further developed in this installment. Bishop also shows us that prejudices and fanaticism can make humans more despicable and evil than any vicious animal. Bishop is a master storyteller, she knows how to tell and develop a story keeping the reader invested and entertained. She kept me glued to the pages from beginning to end and she made me love this book so much I didn’t want it to end; but now that I finished reading it I don’t have any other option than to listen to the audiobook… and maybe read it again… and again.

Anne Bishop has created an ingenious and original world with remarkable characters and a story so perfect that will make you addicted just after couple of pages. Vision in Silver is simply a perfect addition to a perfect series and a book I can’t recommend enough. I also recommend reading Vision in Silver as part of the series and not as a stand-alone. If you haven’t read these books you are missing one of the best urban fantasy series ever written… no, I’m not exaggerating. The Others series shines for its uniqueness and refinement, I could even go as far as to say there is no other series like it on the market. So, go, get your copy now and read it… you can thank me later.

My Verdict: 5 Paws
Other books in the series
Written in Red
Murder of Crows
Vision in Silver (March 3rd)

Other reviews Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful review Marcela! I also totally heart this series. You're so right, humans can be a million times more vicious than animals. I was at awe with her writing of the Black Jewels and she's done it again with the Others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review Marcela! I also totally heart this series. You're so right, humans can be a million times more vicious than animals. I was at awe with her writing of the Black Jewels and she's done it again with the Others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will continue this series...one day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading everyone's reviews today is almost as good as inhaling the actual book. Psych! No, really, who am I kidding, nothing could possibly compare to that, but I don't have time to make a second pass of it quite yet, so it's the next best thing. You said it: Best. Urban Fantasy series. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I agree completely. This is one of the best UF series out there right now. I can't believe I have a wait a full year for the next one. I want it now. It does appear that there are at least two more (according to Goodreads), which is really good news. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I so loved this one too and I'm glad you had a wonderful time with it as well. Really good right? But now it will be so difficult to wait for more. And like Melanie I agree with the best UF series. So full of many amazing things. Wonderful review darling!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...