Contact Me

Friday, April 17, 2015

DNF Review: Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman


Title: Shadow Scale
Author: Rachel Hartman
Series: Seraphina, book 2
Genre: YA Fantasy
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
The kingdom of Goredd: a world where humans and dragons share life with an uneasy balance, and those few who are both human and dragon must hide the truth. Seraphina is one of these, part girl, part dragon, who is reluctantly drawn into the politics of her world. When war breaks out between the dragons and humans, she must travel the lands to find those like herself—for she has an inexplicable connection to all of them, and together they will be able to fight the dragons in powerful, magical ways.

As Seraphina gathers this motley crew, she is pursued by humans who want to stop her. But the most terrifying is another half dragon, who can creep into people’s minds and take them over. Until now, Seraphina has kept her mind safe from intruders, but that also means she’s held back her own gift. It is time to make a choice: Cling to the safety of her old life, or embrace a powerful new destiny?
Shadow Scale is the second and last book in the Seraphina duology by Rachel Hartman.

First, let me start saying that first book in this duology, Seraphina, was one of my favorite books of 2012. Saying I was excited about reading Shadow Scale is the understatement of the year. When I started this book I expected to find the same magic world I found in Seraphina, but sadly everything that made of Seraphina such an awesome book was completely absent from Shadow Scale. I was reading it waiting for that magical spark to come, but nothing was happening. The book was missing all the amazing things that made Seraphina a remarkable book. The heroine was completely changed. Her love for music and the great relationship with her uncle that made her so special was gone. The secondary characters I fell in love with in Seraphina were also gone and the few that remained were transformed into different persons. And then, the “adventure” started, and adventure that couldn’t be more boring because it was impossible. I was so NOT into this book I stopped reading it couple of times, thinking maybe it was me, because I couldn’t accept that I was finding this book so dull after loving Seraphina.
This went on for couple of weeks. I tried going back to the book, read couple of pages and then I just couldn’t read more. Hours later I tried again and nothing; then days later I tried again and with the same results. At this point, I asked Linda from Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell for her opinion. I knew she loved Seraphina and was looking forward to read Shadow Scale, I wanted/needed a second opinion. Linda started to read the book and had the same problems that I had. I was sad, but at the same time I was relieved, it wasn’t me, the problem was Shadow Scale. Despite that, I tried to read it again. I know, I know, but I hate to DNF books, hate it!! But that was the last time I tried. I reach the 32% of the book and knew I couldn’t go on. So, with a broken heart I decided to DNF the book.
After, I went to Goodreads and found that many people were having the same problems I had and some, who were stronger than me, finish it and were very unhappy with the end. After reading about how it ended I’m glad I didn’t wasted more time finish it, because forcing myself to read it and getting to that “cheap” end would have been very very, very, very disappointing.

My Verdict: DNF
Other books in the series
Seraphina
Shadow Scale

Other reviews Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Some managed to finish it? Brave brave souls. I am glad I made it to 100 something at least

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...