Contact Me

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Audiobook Review: Eighth Grave After Dark by Darynda Jones


Title: Eighth Grave After Dark
Author: Darynda Jones
Narrated by: Lorelei King
Series: Charley Davidson, book 8
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Format: Audiobook
Length: 9 hrs 
This review contains spoilers, many spoilers. You have been warned!
With twelve hellhounds after her, pregnant Charley Davidson takes refuge at the only place she thinks they can’t get to her: the grounds of an abandoned convent. But after months of being cooped up there, Charley is ready to pop. Both metaphorically and literally since she is now roughly the size of a beached whale. Fortunately, a new case has captured her attention, one that involves a murder on the very grounds the team has taken shelter upon. A decades-old murder of the newly-vowed nun she keeps seeing in the shadows is almost enough to pull her out of her doldrums.

Charley's been forbidden to step foot off the sacred grounds. While the angry hellhounds can’t traverse the consecrated soil, they can lurk just beyond its borders. They have the entire team on edge, especially Reyes. And if Charley didn’t know better, she would swear Reyes is getting sick. He grows hotter with every moment that passes, his heat scorching across her skin every time he’s near, but naturally he swears he’s fine.

While the team searches for clues on the Twelve, Charley just wants answers and is powerless to get them. But the mass of friends they’ve accrued helps. They convince her even more that everyone in her recent life has somehow been drawn to her, as though they were a part of a bigger picture all along. But the good feelings don’t last for long because Charley is about to get the surprise of her crazy, mixed-up, supernatural life….
Eighth Grave After Dark is the eighth book in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. Lorelei King narrates this audiobook.

I used to read these books; I used to pester the publisher for ARC copies of these books… until the day I decided to listen to the audiobooks. After hearing the awesomeness that is Lorelei King, I didn’t want to read these books again, I wanted Lorelei to narrate them to me. So this time around, I didn’t pester anybody, I patiently waited for release day to get my hands and my ears on the audiobook and I glad I did because Darynda’s writing and Lorelei’s voice are a match made in heaven.

Everything started well in the story; Charley was being Charley while waiting for Beep to be born. While Reyes was being Reyes, keeping secrets while trying to protect Charley and Beep. They are living in an abandoned convent, confined to the consecrated grounds. The usual gang and their new friends are there for them.
Cookie and Ubie are in a good spot. Amber and Quentin are as cute and special as always. Angel, Garret and Osh are working together in different fronts trying to find a loophole or anything that could help Charley and Beep. Gemma and Denise are also there for them and although Denise pretends to have a change of heart we later see her real intentions. That I won’t spoil for you.

I loved Eighth Grave After Dark and it was everything I was expecting it to be until its last chapter, then it all went down for me… and here start the spoilers so stop reading after this if you don’t want to learn serious spoilers, I’m talking about the mother of spoilers. You have been warned… Twice.





Charley gives birth to Beep in this installment and although she loves her daughter I felt there was a missing connection there. Most of the time Beep was cared by others and not Charley. I don’t know any new mom who spent as little time with her newborn baby as Charley did. I understand she has a support group, but she’s the mother. The only friend I know who spent as little time with her baby as Charley did was suffering from a very severe case of postpartum depression, Charley wasn’t. I should have felt clued in on what was to come after I noticed that, but it was only in the last chapter when Reyes tells Charley the best thing they can do to keep Beep safe is to send her away that I realized Beep didn’t fit in the bigger scheme of things. I knew a baby was going to be a hindrance in a fight and I guess Darynda realized that as well, unfortunately a bit late in the plot. So the solution is to send Beep away with people we are conveniently just introduced in this book. This made me feel kind of betrayed… I don’t think that is the right word but is the one that closes express what I felt. That move reminded me of when Chloe Neill killed Ethan, and then realized her mistake, and brought him back to life. I felt the same way. Darynda Jones gave Charley and Reyes a baby and then she realized her mistake, a baby doesn’t fit in the plot, so she fix it by sending her away -with strangers- until it does. No, no and no. I gave up on the Chicagoland Vampires series after that move, but I still have faith in Darynda, so I’ll wait until next book to see what she is going to do with Beep and then I will decide what to do. Until then, I will be waiting with a disappointed heart for the release of next (audio)book, The Dirt on Ninth Grave on January 6th, 2016.

My Story Verdict: 3 Paws
My Narration Verdict: 5 Paws
My Overall Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Third Grave Dead Ahead
Seventh Grave and No Body
Eighth Grave After Dark
The Dirt on Ninth Grave (January 6th, 2016)

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. This is an audio only series for me. I received a finished copy of one of the books and tried to read it. I couldn't pass chapter two. So I gave it to my friend and bought the audio instead. This time around I canceled my pre-order of the audio after remembering the "meh" feeling I had about the last two books.

    I'm on the wait list for the ebook at the library but really I want to listen. I'm hoping they get it soon since they have the others on audio.

    Your spoiler will bug me too when I get around to listening to it.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...