Contact Me

Monday, May 11, 2015

Early Review: Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll


Title: Luckiest Girl Alive
Author: Jessica Knoll
Genre: Fiction, Thrilller
PublisherSimon & Schuster  (May 12th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
HER PERFECT LIFE IS A PERFECT LIE.

As a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani FaNelli endured a shocking, public humiliation that left her desperate to reinvent herself. Now, with a glamorous job, expensive wardrobe, and handsome blue blood fiancé, she’s this close to living the perfect life she’s worked so hard to achieve.

But Ani has a secret.

There’s something else buried in her past that still haunts her, something private and painful that threatens to bubble to the surface and destroy everything.

With a singular voice and twists you won’t see coming, Luckiest Girl Alive explores the unbearable pressure that so many women feel to “have it all” and introduces a heroine whose sharp edges and cutthroat ambition have been protecting a scandalous truth, and a heart that's bigger than it first appears.

The question remains: will breaking her silence destroy all that she has worked for—or, will it at long last, set Ani free?
I didn’t know what to think of Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll, when I started to read it and if I’m honest I didn’t like what I was reading. My problem with Luckiest Girl Alive was that most of the time I didn’t like the heroine. Ani FaNelli is a 28-year-old mean bitch superficial woman who pretends to be who she isn’t to obtain the social status she has craved all her life. Ani has a good job in a renowned magazine, an old money fiancé and a body she starves herself to achieve. She dress to impress and knows how to behave to manipulate people in doing what she wants from them. Ani also has a past she wishes she could change. Ani FaNelli is also TifAni FaNelli a middle class 14 year-old trying to be popular in a private school and failing greatly in the attempt.
The story goes back and forth in time, we see both versions, the young TifAni and the reinvented version, Ani, thanks these flashbacks.
Due to my dislike for Ani I thought about DNF-ing this book at the 50 page mark, but I forced myself to keep reading. I’m glad I did because soon after I was completely engrossed in the story.

Jessica Knoll gives us small tidbits of information and slowly they all start to make sense as a bigger part of an unexpected twist in the plot. I can’t say much about the story without giving spoilers away and the best part of Luckiest Girl Alive are those surprising twists and turns that you won’t see coming.

Jessica Knoll also accomplishes the unexpected, she made me like and cheer for an unlikeable narrator. Actually, I think all of her characters are unlikeable, but she gave them some redeeming qualities to make them realistic and believable.

Luckiest Girl Alive is dark story that touches difficult and hard to read themes, but Knoll writes them in a way that the book becomes impossible to put down. Luckiest Girl Alive is not for everyone due to its content and its unlikeable heroine; still, I will tell you to give it a try, especially if you like dark fiction with a touch of psychological thriller.

Luckiest Girl Alive is Jessica Knoll’s first novel. After reading this debut I’m very intrigued about her future books. Jessica Knoll is a new author to follow closely.

My Verdict: 4 Paws
Other reviews Goodreads



2 comments:

  1. Good thing you didn't stop. I'm the opposite though, I liked it from the get go, not because of Ani, I just know it's going to be a twisted story and I love those kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And almost a dnf, the things one does not know

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...