Contact Me

Friday, July 3, 2015

Audiobook Review: The Buried by Brett Battles


Title: The Buried
Author: Brett Battles
Narrated by: Scott Brick
Series: Jonathan Quinn, book 9
Genre: Thriller
Publisher: Audible Studios
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: Audiobook
Length:
9 hrs and 46 mins 
Everything on the job is going as expected. The target has been dealt with, and all that's left to do is remove the body. But a surprise is waiting for Quinn and Nate, one that completely changes their mission. Then when the client who gave them their new orders disappears, they find themselves on their own, with a human asset holding a dark secret that several parties are interested in obtaining, by force if necessary. To keep the asset alive, the two cleaners must stay on the run, but even that doesn't guarantee success. Because no matter how closely a secret is guarded, if enough people want it, it won't stay buried forever.
The Buried is the ninth book in the Jonathan Quinn series by Brett Battles.

For what I understood, Quinn and Nate are cleaners, they are call to crime scenes to make the bodies disappear or to stage them in a more convenient way. Despite their job, they are decent guys. They don’t work for bad guys; they secretly work for the government.
Quinn is married to a very pregnant Orlando and Nate is in a relationship. Although Nate’s girlfriend was mentioned, she wasn’t present in the story.
Quinn and Nate get a job, they need to pick up the body of a man who was recently killed by a hit-woman, get his body out of the house and stage his death to look like an accident. They also need to search his house for information relating to his dealings. In their search, they find a dungeon full of women. One of them is Danielle. Danielle is wanted by different agencies in the US and the world. Their client (Helen) asks them to take Danielle and bring her to her, but soon after Helen is kidnapped and Quinn and Nate find themselves in the middle of something bigger, with people hunting them along the way.
Danielle knows something that many people want to know, to keep her safe Quinn and Nate will have to do everything in their power to protect her and to find the reason to all the chaos happening around them.

I accepted this audiobook for review thinking that usually thrillers (in series) work well as a stand alones. In the case of The Buried, it does regarding to the story, but not in regards to the characters. It was very obvious that there was a story not only behind each of them, but also between them. Stories I wish I knew to better understand the finer nuances of the story.

I liked the idea of heroes that work on the line between good and bad. Their job can be seen as disreputable, but what they do is for the good of mankind, at least that was the case in this installment, I don’t know if it was the same case in previous books.

I liked Quinn and Nate, I liked that they are both smart and work very well together. It was obvious there was a story behind them working together, but it was only referred to. I wish I would have known more about their past.

I like Quinn’s wife, Orlando, but her behavior in the story was completely unbelievable due to her circumstances. She was supposed to be nine months pregnant and ready to give birth, but she behaved, moved and acted as if she weren’t. I would have believed it if she were in the early stages of pregnancy or not pregnant at all, but not when she was ready to give birth.

I liked and admire Danielle, I liked her determination and her strength. I also liked the story behind her. Talking about the story, it was engaging, with many twists and turns that you won’t see coming; but as I said before, I think I would have enjoyed the story more if I had known the background story of the characters.

Scott Brick did a good job with his performance and his attribution of voices. I liked his cadence and how he was able to convey emotions through his voice. This was my first audiobook narrated by Scott Brick, but it won’t be my last.

I’m seriously considering going back and starting this series from the beginning. I recommend The Buried to fans of this series and to people who enjoy high adrenaline thrillers.

My Story Verdict: 4 Paws
My Narration Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
My Overall Verdict: 4 Paws
Other books in the series
The Cleaner  
The Deceived
The Unwanted      
The Silenced 
The Destroyed     
The Collected      
The Enraged  
The Discarded     
The Buried

Other reviews Goodreads

1 comment:

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...