Contact Me

Monday, July 27, 2015

(Kind of) Early Review: Spider’s Trap by Jennifer Estep


Title: Spider’s Trap
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin, book 13
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Pocket Books (July 28th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Keep your friends close but your enemies within stabbing distance.

One important lesson I’ve learned in the assassination business is that to be the best you have to roll with the punches. Now that I’m queen of Ashland’s underworld—by default, not by choice—a lot more punches are being thrown my way. But I suppose that’s the price of victory for taking down some of the underworld’s top dogs. Good thing I have my Ice and Stone magic to help me survive my volatile new position. Just when I think things are finally settling down, someone tries to murder me during a hush-hush underworld meeting. But the real surprise is how strangely familiar my shadowy assailant seems to be.

My job is to maintain order among killers, crooks, and thieves, and soon I’m embroiled in a bloody game where the ability to keep secrets could be the greatest superpower of all. My enemies have all sharpened their knives and laid their traps, waiting for me to fall. But this Spider weaves her own webs of death…
Spider's Trap is the thirteenth book in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

This is going to be one of those hard-to-write reviews, because I think the problems I had with this book were a case of “it’s me, not you” issues.

I have enjoyed this series since the moment I discovered Spider’s Bite (first book). Of course, I have enjoyed some books more than others, but in general this has been one of my favorite UF series.

I was worried about the direction this series was going to go after Gin killed Mab Monroe, but was pleasantly surprised with the books that followed that installment, but here comes a big but; I’m kind of tired of reading the same formula with a different villain/magic. I’m tired of seeing Gin not remembering important details of her life and only remembering them after having a flashback dream. I’m tired of Gin getting seriously injured and needing to rely on Jo-Jo to fix her. I’m tired of seeing her almost losing her last fight with the villain only to remember at last moment that she can do more with her own magic and win the fight. What I’m not tired is of seeing Gin mature and know she can rely on her supporting group for help. I’m also not tired of seeing her relationship with Owen blossom. I’m also not tired of seeing her interact with her friends and family. And even more, I’m not tired of seeing her cook delicious food even though it makes me hungry to read about it.

Now, after finishing Spider’s Trap, I don’t know what to think or what to do. Why? Because although I enjoyed reading Spider’s Trap and it finished with a bang, I’m not sure what to think about the new player in the game, it sounds a bit too farfetched and convenient for that person to show up now but, interesting and scary enough to intrigue me. The problem is, I don’t know if to continue with this series or not. One thing I know if that I have said this more than once and when a new book comes out I always run to read it. So I’ll have to wait and see. One thing I want to be clear is that after reading some reviews by some of my blogger friends, it looks like I’m the only one who had problems with Spider's Trap. So, the best thing you can do is not to listen to me and read this book and decide for yourself what to think and what to do, and if you haven’t read this series can I ask you what are you waiting for? The Elemental Assassin series is one of the best UF series in the market, one that after “many” installments is still going strong. I recommend you to read these books in order to better understand where Gin comes from.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws
Other books in the series
Spider’s Bite
Web of Lies
Venom
Tangled Threads
By A Thread
Spider’s Trap (July 28th)
Bitter Bite (February 23rd, 2016)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I am waiting for the audio tomorrow but I am keeping my expectations lower on this one. You aren't the only one who said this one wasn't as good. I have heard that Finn plays a big part at the end making it look like he will play a huge part in the next one. He is my BB so I hope so :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting on the audio tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what I think. I've been in the mood to quit series this year(two are off my list)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...