Contact Me

Monday, August 24, 2015

Early Review: Breakout by Ann Aguirre


Title: Breakout
Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: Dred Chronicles, book 3
Genre: Sci-Fi, Space Opera
Publisher: Ace (August 25th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
The prison ship Perdition has become a post-battle charnel house with only a handful of Dred’s soldiers still standing and now being hunted by Silence’s trained tongueless assassins. Forging an uneasy alliance with mercenary commander Vost—who is their only chance at escape—the Dread Queen will do whatever it takes to end her life sentence on Perdition and keep the survivors alive long enough to cobble together a transport capable of getting them off station.

If Dred and her crew can win the deadly game of cat and mouse, the payoff is not only life but freedom—a prize sweeter than their wildest dreams. Yet the sadistic Silence would rather destroy Perdition than let a single soul slip from her grasp…
Breakout is the third and last book in the Dred Chronicles series by Ann Aguirre.

Breakout starts just after the events in Havoc, second book in the series. Dred and her people are forced to ally with the mercenary commander Vost and the few mercenaries he has left alive. They know if they want to escape they need to work together, not only to build the escaping ship, but also to overcome Silence and her killers. The biggest problem is Dred doesn’t trust Vost, but she knows he’s her only way out of Perdition.

I remember years back when I discovered Ann Aguirre and her Sirantha Jax series. I also remembered how much I loved those books and how sad I was to see the series came to an end. I couldn’t have been more thrilled when I heard Aguirre was writing a new series in the same world of Sirantha Jax. I also remember how much I enjoyed the first two books in the Dred Chronicles series. Saying I was excited about reading this next and last book in this series is an understatement, but sadly, maybe I had too great expectations. I’m not saying Breakout wasn’t good, because that was not the case; it was only not as good as I was expecting it to be. My problem was with the pace of the story. On the first part, many things happened, but at the same time nothing really happened and the last third of the story felt more like a long epilogue.

Also, the first part felt more like an info dump. We learned about Jael and his origins and about Silence’s. Many “opportune” things happened to be able to tell their stories. Although I was happy to learn about their past, the way they were brought to the story and the repercussions they had in the long run were a bit too convenient for my taste.

One thing I really liked about Breakout were the relationships between the characters. They all have come a long way and now that the pressure was lessened it was easier to see them blooming into a small little family. I don’t want to say much not to give spoilers away. I will only say, it was nice to see a softer side of Dred and of Jael.

Aguirre ties all the loose ends nicely and gives her characters a well-deserved HEA. Maybe it was a bit too much of a HEA, but it was nice too see how things panned out for them at the end. I also liked the little cameos of certain characters from the Sirantha Jax series.

Although not my favorite in the series, Breakout is a good addition and a good conclusion to a great series. Breakout is also a must read to fans of this series and fans of Ann Aguirre’s books.
Breakout doesn’t work as a standalone; it should be read as part this a series.

My Verdict: 3 ½ Paws

Other books in the series
Perdition
Havoc
Breakout (August 25th)

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Oh the info dump--that always draws me out the story :) It sounds like it was still a super solid 3rd entry though. I do like her writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really cool story. I might have to go check out your other two reviews on the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still got that other series to finish and felt meh about it

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...