Contact Me

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Review: Dark Ascension by M.L. Brennan


Title: Dark Ascension
Author: M.L. Brennan
Series: Generation V, book 4
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Vampires
Publisher: Roc
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
After a lifetime of avoiding his family, Fort has discovered that working for them isn’t half bad—even if his mother, Madeline, is a terrifying, murderous vampire. His newfound career has given him a purpose and a paycheck and has even helped him get his partner, foxy kitsune Suzume, to agree to be his girlfriend. All in all, things are looking up.

Only, just as Fort is getting comfortable managing a supernatural empire that stretches from New Jersey to Ontario, Madeline’s health starts failing, throwing Fort into the middle of an uncomfortable and dangerous battle for succession. His older sister, Prudence, is determined to take over the territory. But Fort isn’t the only one wary of her sociopathic tendencies, and allies, old and new, are turning to him to keep Prudence from gaining power.

Now, as Fort fights against his impending transition into vampire adulthood, he must also battle to keep Prudence from destroying their mother’s kingdom—before she takes him down with it....
Dark Ascension is the fourth book in the Generation V series by M.L. Brennan.

The blurb explains pretty well what Dark Ascension is about, so I won’t go into detail about the story. What I can say is that in this installment something I truly believe in happened to Fort, and that is that when you don’t make decisions, life makes them for you, and sometimes the outcome of those is not what you were expecting.

One thing I love about this series is that the characters really grow and transform throughout the pages/books. I love to see them evolving and accepting their circumstances and when they can’t accept them doing something to change them. In this installment Fort has to deal with the inevitable and with the consequences all that will bring into his life. It was good to see him coming to terms with his destiny and accepting his new responsibilities without changing what makes him so unique and special.

Dark Ascension is a book in which some relationships are strengthened and others are tested. It’s also a book about transitions, changes and uncertainties.
There is not a lot of action in this installment; Dark Ascension is more about intrigues, politics and planning for a future in a new era. Despite the calmness of the story, if I can call it that, Dark Ascension kept me glued to the pages wanting to know what was coming next. The end is not a cliffhanger per se; it’s more of an opening to new and hopefully, better things to come. I can’t wait to see which are those and how are they going to affect Fort, Suzume, and the Scott family as a whole.

Dark Ascension is a great addition to an excellent series and one I recommend to urban fantasy fans. I also recommend reading these books in order.

My Verdict: 4 Paws
Other Books in the Series
Generation V
Iron Night
Tainted Blood
Dark Ascension

Other reviews Goodreads

7 comments:

  1. I requested my library get this one and they did. Now I need to binge read books 2-4. I enjoyed book 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are gonna love the other books as well. They are so good, different and refreshing comparing to the other UF in the market.

      Delete
  2. I am drawn to this series' character development. I haven't read any of the books but I do follow the reviews and I am impressed with where the main character is in his life right now. Wasn't he just a teenager a few books back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a teenager, but a very immature young man fighting with his reality/destiny. You should read it, this series really is one of a kind.

      Delete
  3. I've seen this series around and I keep thinking about it, but haven't started it yet. It looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...