Contact Me

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Audiobook Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas


Title: Queen of Shadows
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: , book 4
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Publisher: Audible Studios
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: Audiobook
Length: 20 hrs and 14 mins
Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.
Queen of Shadows is the fourth book in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. Elizabeth Evans narrates this audiobook.

Despite starting right where Heir Of Fire (third book) ended, there were many unexpected changes in Queen of Shadows. The first one is Celaena is not Celaena anymore. After everything that happened and everything that she learned in Heir Of Fire she has fully become Aelin Galathynius, rightful Queen of Terrasen. This new changes don’t sit well with some characters who can’t understand or appreciate this new version of her. This brings conflicts and heartaches. So many things happened in this installment, some great, some difficult to digest and some others that made my heart flutter. I’m being vague because I don’t want to give spoilers away. I can only say some people are going to hate this book, some are going to love it. Luckily for me, I’m in the latter category.

As I said before, Celaena is changed in this installment. She is stronger and has come into her own as a worthy heroine and leader of her people. She now not only has to think about herself but what is best for the future of her people. This forces her to make decisions that are necessary but won’t always be acceptable to others.

Dorian and Chaol are also changed in this installment. Some of those changes were expected because of things that happened to them in previous books; others were unexpected and although they made me happy, I know some readers won’t be happy about them. I can’t go more into detail without giving spoilers away.

Rowan is also front and center in Queen of Shadows. He has come a long way since he was first introduced in Heir Of Fire. I really liked him and I loved his relationship with Calaena/Aelin. I think he balances her perfectly and made her a better person. I also loved that he accepts her the way she is and doesn’t expect her to be somebody else just to please him, not like other characters I won’t mention because spoilers.

Manon is also present in the story. I liked her in previous book and I liked her more in this installment. I think she is going to be a key player in books to come. I can’t wait to see what Maas has in store for her.

One character that really surprised me was Lysandra. I really liked this new version of her and what she brought to the story. I think Aelin really needed a friend like her.

Queen of Shadows differ from previous books in a way because it’s more plot driven than character driven, as previous installments were. I liked the change and I enjoyed and understand the why of every single thing that happened. I really have to congratulate Maas because her writing has improved considerably. The end is not a cliffhanger, but it’s one that will leave you dying to know what is coming next.

I read previous books, but I listened to the audiobook of Queen of Shadows. I’m very glad I went with the audiobook this time around. Elizabeth Evans does an amazing job bringing to life the characters and the story. She uses the perfect cadence to convey emotions and the proper feelings the story incites. I’m pretty sure I will listen to the audiobook of the sixth book when it is released.

Queen of Shadows is a great addition to a great series and one that fans of YA Fantasy need to read. I recommend reading these books in order to get the full effect and undercurrents of this amazing story.

My Story Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
My Narration Verdict: 5 Paws
My Overall Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
 
Other books in the series
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Prequel novella)
The Assassin and the Healer (Prequel novella)
The Assassin and the Desert (Prequel novella)
The Assassin and the Underworld (Prequel novella)
The Assassin and the Empire (Prequel novella)
Throne of Glass
Crown of Midnight
Heir of Fire

Other reviews Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I keep hearing great things about this series. However, I'm not a big fan of YA. I'm also a big character driven reader, so if this is more plot driven, I'm not sure that it will be my cup of tea. Great review though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm . . . I definitely agree with you that this is more plot-driven than previous books, though until you said it, I didn't realize it myself. I was too caught up in ALL THE THINGS, lol. This has actually been my least favorite in the series (though I still liked it--4 stars), b/c I felt like there were more blunt transitions than in previous installments. Whatev. This is still my favorite YA series ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first book on audio...just sitting there...waiting. I think I may have to actually listen to it sooner rather than later lol.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...