Contact Me

Friday, September 11, 2015

Early Review: Her Final Breath by Robert Dugoni


Title: Her Final Breath
Author: Robert Dugoni
Series: The Tracy Crosswhite, book 2
Genre: Thriller, Mystery
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer (September 15th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Homicide detective Tracy Crosswhite has returned to the police force after the sensational retrial of her sister’s killer. Still scarred from that ordeal, Tracy is pulled into an investigation that threatens to end her career, if not her life.

A serial killer known as the Cowboy is killing young women in cheap motels in North Seattle. Even after a stalker leaves a menacing message for Crosswhite, suggesting the killer or a copycat could be targeting her personally, she is charged with bringing the murderer to justice. With clues scarce and more victims dying, Tracy realizes the key to solving the murders may lie in a decade-old homicide investigation that others, including her captain, Johnny Nolasco, would prefer to keep buried. With the Cowboy on the hunt, can Tracy find the evidence to stop him, or will she become his next victim?
Her Final Breath is the second book in The Tracy Crosswhite series by Robert Dugoni.

Her Final Breath starts couple of days after the events in My Sister's Grave (first book). Tracy is back at work and trying to catch up with her cases, but to her great surprise her Captain has sent the case she was working before leaving to solve her sister’s murder to the cold case files. She knows Nolasco doesn’t want her to succeed in her career, but she never thought he would go to those extremes. But Nolasco’s plan backfires when another murder with the same M.O. is committed and they have to bring back out the case. Tracy’s will be leading the investigation again, but with not many clues and her Captain wanting her to fail, Tracy may have in her hands an impossible to solve case.
Things get even more complicated when Tracy discovers an old case too similar to these ones to be coincidental. The only problem is that case was closed and a person is behind the bars for a crime that it looks he didn’t commit. The worse part is that the lead investigator for that case was not other than her own Captain, Johnny Nolasco.
If that weren’t enough, Tracy has a stalker, a man that is getting dangerous by the day and need to be found and caught before it’s too late for Tracy.

It was good to see Tracy in a different light and without the murder of her sister overcasting her. I loved her relationship with her partner and how protective she was of him. I also liked her camaraderie with her other police friends.

It was also good to see her relationship with Dan developing. I liked that they are not rushing into anything, but taking their time. I also liked that they support each other in their endeavors.

Compared to first book, Her Final Breath has a bit less suspense but it’s more action charged. I found that despite this I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed first book.
Her Final Breath also shows that not everything with police investigations is as easy and perfect as TV shows pretend it to be. There is not only a lack of resources, but also jealousy, racism and sexism between people that should support each other.

One thing I really liked was that I didn’t know who the whodunit was until the very end. I usually pretty good at discovering the culprit, but with Dugoni’s books it’s almost always impossible to do. He throws some curveballs into the story that confuses me and makes me look somewhere else. He makes me consider the wrong character and when I think I have everything solved, bang! He proves me wrong. I couldn’t be happier with his misleading information –if I can call it that- because I love when an author surprises me and Dugoni does it every time.

I recommend Her Final Breath to thriller and mystery fans. Although Her Final Breath works perfectly fine as a standalone, I recommend reading My Sister's Grave first to understand where Tracy is coming from.
I’m looking forward to next book in The Tracy Crosswhite series.

My Verdict: 4 Paws
Other books in the series
Her Final Breath (September 15th)

Other reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...