Contact Me

Monday, November 23, 2015

Early Review: Feel the Burn by G.A. Aiken


Title: Feel the Burn
Author: G.A. Aiken
Series: Dragon Kin, book 8
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Dragons
Publisher: Zebra (November 24th)
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
War makes strange bedfellows.

I, Gaius Domitus, one-eyed rebel dragon king of the Provinces, know that better than most, since I have to fight off half my ungrateful family on a regular basis to keep law and order here in my lands. But I never expected to have to consort with a barbarian human woman.

Kachka is beautiful, if you like them fierce—and of course I do. But she keeps complaining about how spoiled and decadent I am, and how a feared Daughter of the Steppes has no time for foolish dragons. I think she likes my eye patch, though. It is quite dashing. With death always at our tails, we take our passion like we take our allies. As they say, love the barbarian you’re with…
Feel the Burn is the eighth book in the Dragon Kin series by G.A. Aiken.

Feel the Burn is the story of king Gaius Lucius Domitus, Iron dragon and the one-eyed Rebel King from the west and Kachka Shestakova of the Black Bear Riders of the Midnight Mountains of Despair in the Far Reaches of the Steppes of the Outerplains. It’s also the story of how war is approaching and having good allies is crucial in this difficult times, even if those allies are led by the Mad Queen of Garbhán Isle, the bloodthirsty Annwyl.

I know that even when I’m in the middle of a paranormal romance reading slump I can enjoy one of Aiken’s books; luckily for me Feel the Burn was not the exception.

I don’t know how Aiken does it, but she creates over the top characters that although they crash at every scene they work perfectly together as a whole.

The main couple is a pair we know from previous books. The Rebel King has been part of couple of stories and Kachka was introduced in previous book, she is Elina’s sister (Light My Fire, book 7th).

Gaius and Kachka made a great couple because they are together for all the good reasons. Gaius could have any woman/dragon he desires because of his rank, but that’s the last thing he wants. He wants a woman to want him for how he is and not for his title and that’s exactly what Kachka does. She couldn’t care less that he was a king. For her he’s just a worthy mate and that’s all that is important to her.

In this installment Aiken brings all the characters we love from previous books and introduced some new ones, as were Kachka’s band of fighters formed by a misfit group of Daughter of the Steppes. I loved all of them, but Zoya was by far my favorite from the group.

In Feel the Burn Aiken not only gives us a new couple, she also moves forward the general arc. The war is soon approaching and all the players need to be ready and in the perfect place. Including their progeny, who have been preparing for this war from an early age.

Feel the Burn has everything I expect from an Aiken’s book. It has action, romance, adventure, suspense and humor galore. I found myself laughing out loud many times while reading this book. My only complain is that Gaius and Kackka spent a lot of time apart. I know it was necessary for the plot, but in a paranormal romance story the couple should play a more prominent part in the story when they are together.

I recommend Feel the Burn to paranormal romance and dragons fans. If you are a fan of the genre and haven’t read the Dragon Kin series you are missing one of the best PNR series in the market. Although Feel the Burn could be read as a stand alone I don’t recommend doing it. There is a lot of backstory relevant to this story and its characters necessary to understand all that is going on.

My Verdict: 4 ½ Paws
Other books in the series
Everlasting Bad Boys (Prequel novella)
A Tale of Two Dragons (Prequel novella)
Dragon on Top (Prequel novella)
Dragon Actually
About a Dragon
What a Dragon Should Know
Last Dragon Standing
The Dragon Who Loved Me
How to Drive a Dragon Crazy
Feel the Burn (November 24th)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I'm so behind on this series. I really need to get caught up quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Must read then. I need a dragon series to follow

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...