Contact Me

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Short Review: The Awakening by Adair Hart


Title: The Awakening
Author: Adair Hart
Series: Evaran Chronicles, book 1
Genre: Sci-Fi
Publisher: Quantum Edge Publishing
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
A heavily damaged alien research vessel in the Andromeda galaxy is hurtling toward a planet. The aliens should not be there. They have been traveling through space and time, abducting apex predators and sticking them in virtual simulations for research. The problem is the virtual simulations are powering down, unleashing the specimens on the ship.

Dr. Albert Snowden and his neice, Emily, were abducted by the aliens. They are visited by a mysterious being named Evaran in the last minutes of the virtual simulation. He has decided to interfere in this timeline-changing event and rescue them.

Stopping the ship from crashing into the planet before getting to Evaran's ship is one issue. Navigating the apex predators on the loose is another. To make matters worse, Jerzan Graduul, infamous leader of the Bloodbore mercenary pack, has boarded the ship in search of salvage opportunities, and has noticed Evaran's ship. The hunt begins.
The Awakening is the first book in the Evaran Chronicles by Adair Hart.

I love sci-fi books and after reading the blurb I thought I found a book I could really enjoy, sadly The Awakening was not what I was expecting. The story starts interesting enough with a Doctor Who kind of feel; but unfortunately soon after I was bored and uninterested. My problem was that I found the characters very stereotypical, the story very simple and unimaginative, and I also found the pace a bit uneven.

I think Hart had a good idea; The Awakening could have been a great and fun story, but (in my opinion) it wasn’t developed properly. Maybe future books would be better, but I’m not planning to continue with the series. The only thing that could make me change my mind is if one of my trusted reviewers really recommends next book, The Fredorian Destiny, until then this is it for the Evaran Chronicles and me.

Some of the reviewers really liked The Awakening, so maybe it was an “it’s not you, it’s me” case. I leave it up to you to decide.

My Verdict: 2 ½ Paws
Other books in the series
The Awakening
The Fredorian Destiny

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...