Contact Me

Monday, January 4, 2016

Audiobook Review: The Death of Dulgath by Michael J. Sullivan


Title: The Death of Dulgath
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
Narrated by: Tim Gerard Reynolds
Series: The Riyria Chronicles,
book 3
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Audible Studios
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: Audiobook
Length: 13 hrs and 57 mins 
When the last member of the oldest noble family in Avryn is targeted for assassination, Riyria is hired to foil the plot. Three years have passed since the war-weary mercenary Hadrian and the cynical ex-assassin Royce joined forces to start life as rogues-for-hire. Things have gone well enough until they're asked to help prevent a murder. Now they must venture into an ancient corner of the world to save a mysterious woman who knows more about Royce than is safe and cares less about herself than is sane.

From the best-selling author of The Riyria Revelations comes the third installment of The Riyria Chronicles. Although part of a series, it's designed to thrill both new readers looking for fun, fast-paced fantasy and Riyria veterans wishing to reunite with old friends.
The Death of Dulgath is the third book in The Riyria Chronicles by Michael J. Sullivan. Tim Gerard Reynolds narrates this audiobook.

I’ve been a fan of Michael J. Sullivan since the moment I discovered The Riyria Revelations series back in 2011. I loved that series so much I have read the books twice and I have also listened to the audiobooks. It was a bittersweet moment for me when that series came to an end, not only because one of my all time favorite fantasy series was ending, but also because I knew I was going to miss Hadrian and Royce a lot; they had become some of my all time favorite characters and I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to them. Luckily for me and other fans of the series, Sullivan’s wife, Robin, also wasn’t ready to say goodbye to them and asked Sullivan to write more stories about them; winning the title of Husband of the Year, Michael J. Sullivan started to write this prequel series (The Riyria Chronicles). For that, I’ll be always grateful to Robin.

I didn’t have to think twice when I was offer the audiobook of The Death of Dulgath for review and barely eight minutes into it I remembered why I love this series and this characters so much. I also realized how much I had missed them. The funny thing is that I had the ebook, I bought it days before, but I was keeping it to read it as my first book of 2016, but with the audiobook I just couldn’t wait and I’m happy I didn’t because it was awesome!

In The Death of Dulgath, Hadrian and Royce have been together for three years; they know each other a little bit better and we can see some positive changes in their personalities due to their interactions. Their banter is ever present and as always, it was delightful to listened/read it.

The Death of Dulgath also has some new interesting characters. I really liked Lady Dulgath, Sherwood and Scarlet. I loved “the light” Lady Dulgath brought to Royce’s life. It was hard to see him accepting it, but I can only like him more for it. I can’t say more about it without giving spoilers away, so you will need to listen/read this book. I can’t also say much about Sherwood without giving spoilers away, I can only say I really liked him and… no more without spoilers. Scarlet was different. She is the living proof that people can turn their lives around. I loved what she showed Royce with her actions. I also loved her interactions with Hadrian.

The story of The Death of Dulgath is everything I come to expect from Sullivan’s books, it’s fun, highly entertaining, heart wrenching at times and completely unpredictable. The writing is fluid and perfectly paced. The character development is flawlessly done as always and the world building is further expanded. We learn more about the history of the world. We also learned about things that happened in the past and how those things are affecting the present they are currently living.

Once again, Tim Gerard Reynolds does an outstanding job. He’s not only one of my all time favorite narrators, for me he is and always will be The Riyria’s voices. I love how he brings to life the characters and the little nuances he add to their personalities to make them unique and very easily identifiable. I can’t imagine a different narrator narrating these books.

I have to be honest, I may be a little bit biased about The Death of Dulgath and this series in general because I don’t love these characters, I adore them. For me, Royce and Hadrian are the epitome of what a perfect duo of characters should be or at least aspire to be.

I can’t recommend enough this audiobook. Although Sullivan writes his books in a way that they work as standalones I recommend you to listen to them in order. Even more, I recommend you to listen first to The Riyria Revelations series and then listen to this series. That’s just my suggestion and they are all awesome. You can thank me later.

Saying I’m eagerly waiting for the release of next book (audiobook) of this series is the understatement of the year. Unfortunately, for what I’ve heard that would take two years or so; but there are good news for me and fans of this world; Sullivan is coming out with a new series called Legends of the First Empire. This series is set on the same world of The Riyria Chronicles and The Riyria Revelations, but it’s set in the distant past. The first book, Age of Myth, will be release on June 28th and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Actually, I really hope they release the audiobook on the same day, because I love Sullivan’s books in audio.

My Story Verdict: 5 Paws
My Narration Verdict: 5 Paws
My Overall Verdict: 5 Paws
Other books in the series
The Viscount and the Witch (Novella)
The Death of Dulgath

Order Reviews Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I have totally lost track of this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you've convinced me. I don't know exactly when I will be able to start. My goal for this year is to finish series, not start new ones. However, if I finish a few series, I will allow myself to start a few new ones. I want this one to be on this list.

    My question, do I read them in chronological order or in the order they were written? On Goodreads, both are listed as an option. Which do you recommended?

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...