Contact Me

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Review: Dark Deeds by Michelle Diener


Title: Dark Deeds
Author: Michelle Diener
Series: Class 5, book 2
Genre: Sci-fi, Sci-Fi Romance
Publisher: Eclipse
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
Far from home . . .

Fiona Russell has been snatched from Earth, imprisoned and used as slave labor, but nothing about her abduction makes sense. When she’s rescued by the Grih, she realizes there’s a much bigger game in play than she could ever have imagined, and she’s right in the middle of it.

Far from safe . . .

Battleship captain Hal Vakeri is chasing down pirates when he stumbles across a woman abducted from Earth. She’s the second one the Grih have found in two months, and her presence is potentially explosive in the Grih’s ongoing negotiations with their enemies, the Tecran. The Tecran and the Grih are on the cusp of war, and Fiona might just tip the balance.

Far from done . . .

Fiona has had to bide her time while she’s been a prisoner, pretending to be less than she is, but when the chance comes for her to forge her own destiny in this new world, she grabs it with both hands. After all, actions speak louder than words.
Dark Deeds is the second book in the Class 5 series by Michelle Diener.

Last year I read first book in this series, Dark Horse and loved it. It was a really nice surprise and since finishing it I’ve been waiting for the release of second book, now that I have read Dark Deeds I can say the wait was worth it.

The main plot of Dark Deeds is similar to Dark Horse in which a Grih “man” rescues a human woman and after sometime they develop feelings for each other. Also a Class 5 ship sentient system is involved, but the similarities end there.

Fiona’s life after her abduction hasn’t been easy, but she hasn’t lost her faith and is ready to seize any opportunity that comes her way. She’s smart and she’s a fighter. She knows going back home is impossible, so she’s ready to do the best with whatever life brings her way. I can only admire her for her determination to make the best of her situation. Hal is an easy character to like; he’s an honest man with strong ethics. I liked how he put himself out there for Fiona. I liked how he accepted her for what she was and was able to see how worthy she was of his affection.

I liked that their relationship is slow building. They start to have feelings for each other after the spent time together and were able to prove that they will be there for the other not matter what. Dark Deeds is less romance charged than Dark Horse, some people might have problem with that, but it was perfectly okay for me.

As I said before, there is also a sentient system, but Eazi is different from Sazo (Dark Horse). Its interactions with Fiona were also very different and the circumstances of how they meet are different as well. Although I thought I was sure how things would end for Eazi and Fiona I can say I was wrong, Diener surprised me and if you know me or have followed my reviews you know I love when an author surprises me. For that, I have to give Kudos to Diener.

The world is further developed in this installment with the introduction of the space station, Larga Ways. I loved how Diener describes its architectural design. Thanks to her vivid descriptions it was very easy to picture it in my mind.

In Dark Deeds Diener also gives us some very little information about the heroine in next book. We only know her name and that she’s a fighter and a survivor, as her predecessors have been. There is not yet a title for next book, but I’ll be following Michelle Diener closely to learn more about.

Dark Deeds is a great addition to a great series and one I recommend to sci-fi fans, sci-fi romance fans or sci-fi opera fans. I also recommend reading Dark Horse first to understand all the undercurrents in the story. 

My Verdict: 4 Paws
Other books in the series
Dark Deeds

Other reviews Goodreads

1 comment:

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...