Contact Me

Monday, March 7, 2016

Review: Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop


Title: Marked in Flesh
Author: Anne Bishop
Series: The Others, book 4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Penguin/Roc
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: E-book
For centuries, the Others and humans have lived side by side in uneasy peace. But when humankind oversteps its bounds, the Others will have to decide how much humanity they’re willing to tolerate—both within themselves and within their community...

Since the Others allied themselves with the cassandra sangue, the fragile yet powerful human blood prophets who were being exploited by their own kind, the delicate dynamic between humans and Others changed. Some, like Simon Wolfgard, wolf shifter and leader of the Lakeside Courtyard, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn, see the new, closer companionship as beneficial—both personally and practically.

But not everyone is convinced. A group of radical humans is seeking to usurp land through a series of violent attacks on the Others. What they don’t realize is that there are older and more dangerous forces than shifters and vampires protecting the land that belongs to the Others—and those forces are willing to do whatever is necessary to protect what is theirs…
Marked in Flesh is the fourth book in The Others series by Anne Bishop.

I have read many books in many genres, but nothing like The Others series by Anne Bishop.  Since first book I felt in love with the characters and the unique world Bishop created for this series and book after book my love for this series and its characters has only grown.

In this installment, the relationship between humans and the others is on the brink of collapse. The others are tired of the machinations of Humans First and Last (HFL) and are slowly taking measures against them. Unfortunately, the HFL can’t see the bigger picture to realize they are fighting a war they can’t win because the enemy they see is not the enemy they will fight; when the time comes, the Elders, who are Namid’s teeth and claws, will be the ones to have the last word. 

While all this is happening the cassandra sangue are trying to survive in the outside world with the help of Meg and some techniques she has created to make their adjustment to their new lives easier.

Meg has come a long way since the first installment; although she is still very naïve, she now knows the responsibility she has on her shoulders as the trailblazer for the cassandra sangue. Her relationship with the residents of the Lakeside Courtyard is a stronger as ever. We also see how pivotal is her role on the survival of the human race.

Meg and Simon’s relationship continues to slowly develop. Seeing them trying to understand their feelings was heartwarming, hilarious and frustrating at times.

In Marked in Flesh we see more points of view than in previous installments. While this slows the pace a little bit and reduces the page time of our favorite characters, it’s clearly necessary to explain all the undercurrents of the existing situation.

Anne Bishop’s writing is top notch as always. I loved that even though this is an urban fantasy series in an unreal world the situations and the conflicts she raises between the different parties felt very real and current if we compare them to the reality we are living nowadays.

Marked in Flesh is superb addition to an outstanding series. It has cemented my conviction that this is my favorite series currently in the market. The only problem I found with Marked in Flesh has is having to wait for the next one.

I love this book so much I also pre-ordered the audiobook. Trust me, read it or listen to it, you can thank me later.

If you haven’t read The Others series you are missing one of the best urban fantasy series ever created. Marked in Flesh doesn’t work well as a standalone; it should be read as part of the series.
My Verdict: 5 Paws

Other books in the series
Written in Red
Murder of Crows
Marked in Flesh (March 8th)

Other reviews Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Eeeeveryone is reading this one now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was you and Loupe who convinced me to listen to this series right before book two was released. I was able to listen to Written in Red and then Murder of Crows in less than a month. I don't know if I've ever thanked you for that. I just loved this series so much. It is one of my favorites because it is so unique. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm listening to this right now. Really enjoying it so far. Getting a little tired of the HFL people and their nonsense though. I mean...they are such idiots lol! I know I have to wait until the end of the book to know this but I'm curious to see if the HFL will continue to be the 'villain' in the next book. So far though, I agree with your review and agree that this is one of my mostest favourite series out there. Great review Marcela!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...